New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

greetings from Alaska!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 04:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default greetings from Alaska!

So I'm finally getting.... A 78 Camaro Z28 with T-tops.

I'm 20 years old and this will be my first real project.. I've built some other things but nothing that will be this cool. I look forward to picking many brains and learning a lot.

I know some stuff but I havnt really worked on any v-8s in fact the motor in this camaro is about 3x bigger than most the engines I have messed with.. That being said I have personally owned 43 cars. yes 43. And no my parents have never bought me a car, I actually bought my first car from my dad for $50, It didn't run and the interior was crap. I fixed it and I sold it for 1500. I'm a hell of a mechanic and I look forward to setting this camaro straight.

Who ever owned this car before me was an idiot., there are so many things wrong with the motor... like the Holley 800 double pumper... way too much carb for this engine. its got the wrong intake, theres no threaded hole for the alternator bracket.. it doesnt have HEI... which I think it should...and it will.

Oh and someone in thier infinite wisdom decided to shave the door handles..

All the parts that aren't on the car come with the car so it should be a matter of putting it back together paint and driving the snot out of it.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:02 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Welcome to Camaro Forums. Looks like a fun project. That carb looks almost new, you should be able to get a pretty penny for it on ebay.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:21 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks!.. The carb is almost new.. but I'm not planning on selling it. I've got some crazy ideas where it may just come in handy. a friend has 3 different supercharger setups. It should be perfect sitting on the top of one

Old 09-22-2013, 04:41 AM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

Welcome to the Forums. Great looking project. Im a sucker for a Blue Camaro. One day mine shall be Blue as well.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:30 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Well I just payed off the last of the money i owed on this beast. tomorrow i start putting it back together and getting it running, i already bought most of the parts i'll need to get it running and we will go from there.. I also discovered that it is infact an 81 z28. and the motor appears to be from a 75? judging by exhaust manifolds and the points style distributor.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:57 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Some 1974 GM vehicles came with HEI ignition, HEI was standard by 1975. So, don't judge an engine by it's accessories that someone else added. The previous owner may have just not liked electronic and preferred the old school points & condenser type ignition. I'd be curious enough to run the numbers on the block (in front of the passenger side head), and see what you do in fact have there.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:14 AM
3rd Gear Member

Welcome aboard.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Some 1974 GM vehicles came with HEI ignition, HEI was standard by 1975. So, don't judge an engine by it's accessories that someone else added. The previous owner may have just not liked electronic and preferred the old school points & condenser type ignition. I'd be curious enough to run the numbers on the block (in front of the passenger side head), and see what you do in fact have there.

i do plan on running the numbers on the block still, not exactly sure how to translate them but the internet will provide me with answers.

I am happy its an earlier motor though, it should be a little more potent than the 180 or so hp this car came with from the factory.

its about i'd say 30 degrees F right now so im going to let it warm up a little and go stab this HEI drop a battery in and hook the rad back up. and drive it home

also once i get it home i'll start a project thread.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:55 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Old 10-27-2013, 01:32 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ITS ALIVEEEE!!!!! I didnt get to drive it yet but it does run! and it runs good, considering excessive carb

Quick Reply: greetings from Alaska!