New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

First Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 09:48 PM
Default First Camaro

Gday all. Just bought my first Camaro. Going to be shipped to Australia next week. Am running around looking for parts I can fit in the boot before it leaves so forgive me if I ask something without searching properly first!

It's a '71 SS350; one owner previous, numbers matching. Driving but needs work. Only one small rust spot in a rear wheel arch, otherwise all fine (very lucky there). Engine is a bit smokey but pulls the car. It's factory red with cream inside.

I'm interested in a manual conversion and reco-ing the engine at this point. Doing a 3 piece wing and RS chin spoiler too (think I've found where to get them).

Any info on the manual swap would be appreciated. I realise it's normally more economical to buy a manual but this car seemed exceptionally good value for what it is so I jumped on it.

My main concern is the cutting and welding of the peddles/holes; I've heard this is a trickiest part. Being an original SS, cutting it up too much is something I want to avoid so it can always be restored to original in the future. Any knowledge?

Old 02-17-2011, 07:33 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Welcome to the forum. We prefer that people use the tech sections to ask questions. But it should be fairly easy to do a swap in that year. Just need to find the peddles and cables really, there shouldn't be any cutting if you use a year correct trans. If you use a newer trans then you will probably have to cut for shifter.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:55 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

congrats on your find. hope its just the one rusty spot. welcome, its good to have you with us and hope the members can help. enjoy.