New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

Every restorers favorite phase: "Finally gettin' started."

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 11:32 PM
Dex
Default Every restorers favorite phase: "Finally gettin' started."

Hola. New here, but not new to online forums in general.

I bought this 1968 in 2004 for $300 in a 'right place at the right time' sort of scenario, and have had it in storage ever since. I finally freed up some finances a month ago, so the inventory and parts sourcing phase has started. I've learned a lot about cars of this vintage from my 72 Nova DD beater.

A bit about the car and my basic plans.

It has what appears to be standard interior (possibly deluxe steering wheel?), base 327 2bbl, powerglide, A/C, P/S, no power brakes, and probably drums brakes (I've never looked :P ).
Was "seafrost green", and had an aftermarket landau top.

Plans
I have to get the roof replaced thanks to rust some dents hammered out, and will probably need new rear floor pans.

Interior will be OEM in appearance, however I may put 69 seats in because I want whiplash protection. I'll also go with those 'sport' bolstered seat foams. Also modern 3pt seat belts. Yes I'll keep the o.g AM radio, and hide and mp3 player somewhere.

Exterior and stance. I'll either do a dark silver almost gunmetal, or the seafrost green (which is really more silver than green). Either 15 or 16 inch Torque Thrust D wheels, and lowered for that retro TransAm look.

Engine and trans. I'm going the keep the 327 block and have it built to rev high, and will dump the 2bbl for a Q jet. I'm going to remove the automatic and put in a 4 or 5 speed manual because automatics just bore the crap out of me, I really hate them.

Her current state:
Name:  exterior.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  122.0 KB

Name:  interior.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  75.2 KB

Name:  climate.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  59.6 KB

Name:  gauges.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  50.0 KB

I've got my work cut out for me. I will do a most of the work myself. Welding, cutting and engine internals however, are out of my league.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:18 AM

Welcome! Man i want that! i have been looking for a nice project to stat but here in PA there all to rusted to even bother.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:57 PM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

Welcome to the Forums! Nice project car you got there. roll your sleeves up.... its gonna be fun, fun and more fun.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:31 PM
Dex

Originally Posted by Scooch
Welcome to the Forums! Nice project car you got there. roll your sleeves up.... its gonna be fun, fun and more fun.

Yeah, I'm pretty excited, it's been a long wait.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:16 PM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

Ah......the smell of a project coming to life......goodluck with all that and welcome to the forum.