New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

[Insert greeting]

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member
Default [Insert greeting]

Hey guy's, name's Spatfieya (Spitfire but annoyingly spelled), you can call me Spat. I'm a Automotive Tech with a particularly big company, there I am certified to install/diagnose car audio/alarm systems. I have some pictures of my work for those who car, but that's another story.

So, obviously I'm here because: One, I have a passion for Camaros/Firebirds and Two, I have a Camaro; So this all works out spectacularly.

Now, I don't want to bore you all too much, so I'll make my long story rather short. It starts off with me in Florida about to move to Arizona for my job/girly friend. My girl friend is a car person as well as me, and she knows my fondness of Camaros. At the time, her Ford conture was taking a dump (Fuel pump, ball joint/suspension, etc.) The car was on it's last legs. So in an effort to get a more reliable vehicle, one that has VALUE and is also a pleasure to drive, she went looking for a Mustang/Camaro. All the Mustangs were too expensive, and things were looking grim until she came across this little guy. A 1996 RS Camaro for 1k.

As you can see, the car needs help. The AZ sun ate the clear coat on the car like it was going out of style, and to boot the previous owners neglected the car horrendously. The owner even admitted to driving while drunk at some points. So at this time, we both felt it as our duty to give this poor Camaro a new home. One with those who respect and adore it as well as have the tools and know how to keep it operational.

So we buy it for about a thousand, take it home and clean her up. What sold me on this car is the black and red interior, I've never seen that many F-Bodys of this generation with the package. Unless it's an aftermarket thing, maybe some of you guys know.

A few weeks later we took a trip in the car to her home town in Lake Havasu, AZ for my birthday. All was well until the drive back.. right when we were in the middle of nowhere in the dead of night, the car over heats and breaks down... in the middle of the DESERT! Me being a Florida boy, I'd rather fight a 13 foot alligator than deal with this.

Anyways, we got the car back to her home and got a ride back to Phoenix with friends. Luckily I have my truck (2004 Silverado) to drive to work... we took the car apart later on to find out the head gasket blew and cracked BOTH heads. I am then faced with a few choices. Either sell it as is and take my losses.. or fix it. Me being the stubborn man I am, I'm going to fix this car and restore it to it's former glory. Maybe get a donor Z28 down the road and throw in it's beautiful LT1 guts into the RS. But that's later. I am in the process of acquiring replacement heads and rebuilding the top end of the vehicle.

Good stuff found in the tranny.

All jacked up.

Diagnosis: Water in the head.

That's my story for now. Love how I said I'd make it short, but it still ends up being long.

Last edited by Spatfieya; 07-28-2011 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Picture fix.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:50 AM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

haha welcome to the forum spat. Love the story. Goodluck in making it the bomb of a camaro.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:59 AM
2nd Gear member

Ut oh... Reminds me of a story.
If you give a mouse a cookie, he's gonna want a glass of milk...

It should prove fun watching your progress lol!

BTW, welcome!

Old 07-28-2011, 02:02 PM

Welcome to the forums. Best of luck with your ride!