LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Z28 cam

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Default Z28 cam

how much would it cost total to get a z28 cammed?

Old 01-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Are you asking how much it would cost to install a new camshaft in an Lt1/ LS1 V8? That would depend on what Cam you wanted. Some Cams you can just install with everything else stock, bigger cams need a lot of support parts like Rockers, springs, pushrods. Things like that. Why would you post this in the V6 section?

Old 01-11-2012, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Gorn
Are you asking how much it would cost to install a new camshaft in an Lt1/ LS1 V8? That would depend on what Cam you wanted. Some Cams you can just install with everything else stock, bigger cams need a lot of support parts like Rockers, springs, pushrods. Things like that. Why would you post this in the V6 section?
I would do it the cheapest way possible, I plan on putting either 3.73 or 4.10 gears then getting it cammed but that's mainly all I'd be doing performance wise. Say I got it cammed with the stock setup, would I be able to change other parts on the engine without upgrading to a bigger cam? And I didn't realize I posted this in the v6 tech, whoops.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:58 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Bepps95_3.4
And I didn't realize I posted this in the v6 tech, whoops.
Fixed.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:33 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If money is an issue you should look at bolt on items before the Cam. Long tube Headers, Cat back, Cool Air intake I think you can get away with 1.6 rockers with the stock Valve spring (unless the motor is high miles). You really want to make sure everything on your motor is in great working order before you mess with the internals parts of the motor. If it is a high miles motor you should think about a little preventive maintenance while you install the cam, new head gaskets and water pump (if it has not already been done). You could buy the cam for as little as $400 but remember that is not going to be a big HP gain cam. With the big HP cams it is all or nothing. I could see you spending $1200 to do a big Cam.

I have built a lot of SBC motors but I am a little new to the LT1 motor, we have a few guys that know a lot about them. Hopefully one of those guys will chime in.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Fixed.
thanks!

Old 01-11-2012, 11:50 AM

If money is an issue you should look at bolt on items before the Cam. Long tube Headers, Cat back, Cool Air intake I think you can get away with 1.6 rockers with the stock Valve spring (unless the motor is high miles). You really want to make sure everything on your motor is in great working order before you mess with the internals parts of the motor. If it is a high miles motor you should think about a little preventive maintenance while you install the cam, new head gaskets and water pump (if it has not already been done). You could buy the cam for as little as $400 but remember that is not going to be a big HP gain cam. With the big HP cams it is all or nothing. I could see you spending $1200 to do a big Cam.

I have built a lot of SBC motors but I am a little new to the LT1 motor, we have a few guys that know a lot about them. Hopefully one of those guys will chime in.
there is just such a wide variety of options to do... maybe you could tell me the first few things you would do to upgrade your z28. im new to modding and im not sure where i should start. im not really trying to achieve 800 hp or anything, but id like to reach somewhere between 350-400. and what kind of gains could i expect with a big cam? thanks

Old 01-13-2012, 11:30 AM
4th Gear Member

Long tube Headers, Cat back, Cool Air intake.
Those are the three most common mods to be done first. Bigger throttle body and port/polished heads and intake will do nicely too. After that point, you can look at loosing some weight or redistributing it (battery in trunk) too. Then you could move on to internals. Just remember that your tranny and rear end need to hold up to what ever you plan on putting down.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:46 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

it would be easy to spend 3k doing a decent cam change that includes the head, exhaust and intake mods needed to make the cam worth it. the springs on a lt1 are made for the stock cam so pretty much any cam bigger is going to need better springs and retainers. like has been said start with the bolt ons, once done with that then save bucks for heads intake and cam. these will not do much without the exhaust and intake mods that are bolt ons.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:46 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Check in here or find reviews of any products before you buy. There is a mine field of parts that “increase” HP and all they really do is make your wallet a little lighter. Even some of the name brand headers are not much of an upgrade over stock manifolds. Anytime you check for reviews make sure the site has no connection with selling the item. I have seen parts with positive reviews post on the selling site but when you go to an open forum the parts are trashed in every thread they are mentioned in.