LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

yet another problem with my project car???

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 08:27 PM
Default yet another problem with my project car???

car sat over 3 years, added new fluids, new battery/starter/fuel pump and it runs, has a ticking sound but still ran good but now......

car runs all day %100 at idle but today it overheated on me out of nowhere after taking for a drive around the block....the water pump must be ok if it can run 30 minutes and not overheat right??

2nd is it has a sputter when i hit the gas, a low rpm hesitation then it goes maybe optt going?

i searched but just found alot about a clogged rad which mine is clean....another odd thing is the low coolant light is on but it is full?????

Old 04-20-2010, 09:25 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

what yr? is the air damn (plasitc scoop under the front) still on the front? if its missing it can cause it to do what u are saying. also might try flushing the cooling sytem. no water in the oil?

Old 04-21-2010, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by craby
what yr? is the air damn (plasitc scoop under the front) still on the front? if its missing it can cause it to do what u are saying. also might try flushing the cooling sytem. no water in the oil?
its a 95, oil is clean. i did just put a new bumper on but im pretty sure the air dam is still there didnt think of that one...guess ill have a coolant flush party my truck is starting to over heat on me also but that one is my fauld and getting the rad clogged with mud

Old 04-21-2010, 09:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Yo man, you have a air pocket in the coolant system...LT1s are notorious for that. Just take out the thermostat and drill a small hole in it and then the system will bleed better. The damn bleeder screws just don't do the job sometimes. As far as the ticking that is probably coming from the lifters that drained of oil. They will pump themselves back up they are hydraulic. The hesitation could be the opti, cause that is how they act, but my money is on the plugs, change them first, and read them when they come out, they will tell the story.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by 383Stro
Yo man, you have a air pocket in the coolant system...LT1s are notorious for that. Just take out the thermostat and drill a small hole in it and then the system will bleed better. The damn bleeder screws just don't do the job sometimes. As far as the ticking that is probably coming from the lifters that drained of oil. They will pump themselves back up they are hydraulic. The hesitation could be the opti, cause that is how they act, but my money is on the plugs, change them first, and read them when they come out, they will tell the story.
humm ill try that, i tore it all apart finaly yesterday....i took out the fans, rad, waterpump, and intake manifold. is the waterpump susposed to spin freely? i know my old car it did because this one is kinda stiff. also foud a huge wallmart bag sitting flat inbetween the rad and ac rad which is also going to hurt it.

found one rod that was a little loose that had play that i could move it up and down just a little bit...could that be the sound?

i have plain sight of the opti, thinking getting new wires and plugs, im not sure if it has been replaced or not...will a mad 6al box help? im planning on picking one up today or tomorrow, all ready to plug and play on the lt-1. would just butnig the cap and rotor kits do any good? the opti's are so expensive and just not im my budget any time soon.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:31 AM

heres a photobucket vid of the sound i was talking about:
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a54...9_02070037.flv
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player...9_02070037.flv">

Old 04-22-2010, 09:58 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sounds like a bad or maladjusted lifter. so the rod u are talking about is a push rod right? it could just need adjusted or could be bad. whats your oil pressure? i think u found the problem with the cooling system when u found the bag. go with some new wires if the ones on the car look old and the same goes for the plugs. seems to be running ok so im thinking if u get the lifter clatter takin care of u should be good to go.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:58 AM
1st Gear Member

The noise in the video sounded like top end noise to me, but videos can be deceptive. The rod is a major concern because if it was making noise like that then you have spun a bearing. Side to side play is normal, but play up and down at the journal=spun bearing. Does the rod look dark and burned at the journal? Pull off the rod bearing and take a look. Post a pic of the rod bearing if you want, i'd be happy to check it out.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:16 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

i highly doubt he has the motor torn apart far enough to see the actual connecting rods. i'm sure he's talking about a pushrod in this case. i can't load the video to check it out.

i'd do pretty much what craby said and see what i got after that

Old 04-22-2010, 11:34 AM
1st Gear Member

LOL...That is a good point. I just assumed he could pull the motor in a couple hours and had the oil pan off.. Hahahhahaha. ss. The video def. sounded like top-end noise, I believe that you have collapsed lifters. I hate this diagnosing via computer...I think I am gonna call it BUTT-DIAGNOSING! LOL, When someone says rod, I assume connecting rod automatically. Back to u tho, when you let a car sit like you did the lifter loses its prime... it will then sound just like it does in that video when you start it and run it, it will sound like a solid roller cam, like a lot of top end tapping etc... That is why when we pull a motor apart we put the lifters in a cup of oil so that they keep their prime. I think you got a little scared at the sound initially. It will go away as the car runs and the lifters slowly reprime themselves. What type of oil are you running? Cause if you are running a heavy oil they wont prime up as quickly. Hit me up if you want instructions on setting the lash and we can go that route too. You threw me for a loop with that "rod" stuff, sorry bout that confusion...Im with ya now. In short...run the s..T out of it and they will reprime and be fine. The play that you feel is the result of the collapsed lifter the more I think about it the more obvious to me that that is what the problem is.

Last edited by 383Stro; 04-22-2010 at 11:42 AM.

Quick Reply: yet another problem with my project car???