LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Who has had Tranny problems with 4L60E?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 09:56 AM
Default Who has had Tranny problems with 4L60E?

Last Night I was going to my Girlfriends house and my 95' Z28 shifted a few times strange and I took notice....It revved upto high not grabbing the next gear.
Finally after doing this about three times...I stopped on a lonely stretch and pulled the car down into 2nd gear gear....I rolled into the throttle just breaking the tires loose but not nailing it...The car pulled through 1st just fine....Then when it started to shift it revved way up and did nothing....even when I selected other gears....So I was stuck on the side of the road....A tow home a hour later...I am peaved pretty bad since the tranny was rebuilt like 3,000 miles ago right before I bought the car. (It was a friends car before)
I was told this morning by a tranny shop that it has to be mechanical....that the electronics that operate the tranny only control shifting etc,..He said the fact it wont move is certain fact that its mechanical in nature....What do you all think?
The tranny never made strange noises or popping or anything...it just straight up went from pulling decent in 1st gear to nothing at all....almost like its out of fluid....instantly. But I checked it and the fluid is fine.

What does this sound like?

Old 08-23-2007, 12:35 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Who has had Tranny problems with 4L60E?

I friend of mine had a problem with his 95 Tahoe with the 4l60e. The tranny shop said that these trans have a problem with the sun shell gear rounding off. There is also some type of boost valve upgrade. The Tahoes problem is different from yours, his would slide in reverse with a heavy load. He was quoted $1400 for the repair/overhaul. Try a search for 4l60e upgrades. There are a few sites that might steer you the right direction or you can consult your locale trans shop. Good luck.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:31 AM

I got my tranny pulled out and I searched around with getting prices from $1,300 to $2,000 in car to....around $700 to $1,800 for trannies redone out of the car.
Huge range of prices....I looked into it and the kits to redo the trannies are only $140-$550 for basic full rebuild to full wild aftermarket hard parts...The Sun shell is Only $51 for a "beast" variant.

So I pulled the tranny myself and took it to a shop next door to mywork in Cincinnati, Springdale Automotive, Bob told me $300 plus parts to rebuilt it for me. 513-860-2760 Bob, Called me this morning I have a broken Front Pump....The sun shell was fine and the rest of the tranny looked great...So we are putting in a wider band, Beast Sun shell, New Pump, New Convertor, New steels, and Whatever else it might look suspicious. The Convertor that was installed in the car was the wrong one. Some Idiot didnt get the right one.....they just shimmed it with washers to fit the flexplate....bending it slightly....Well the Torque Convertor didnt pilot in the back of theengine like it should allowing it to wobble and destroyed the pump. I wanna kill the idiots who put the last tranny in this car....So simple it would have been to just get the right convertor versus all the shims and washers they had jammed in between to "Make it work"....Flipping stupid.

Bob Should be done with my tranny this afternoon. For a whole freaking lot less than anybody else wanted to rape me for. Its gotta be a pretty big racket for major money to get these trannies done...I saw it apart and it didnt look that bad....Thinking about finding a another junkyard tranny and buying a few specialty tools and pulling one apart myself....I wanna rebuild one for Sh*ts & Grins after I learn how they are assembled and work. I know I can do it...I rebuild engines already so a tranny cant be that bad.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i just had mine rebuilt.. it was slipping in 2nd, and 3rd and 4th grinded.. it also shifted WAY too hard.. so i had it built with a shift kit for ~ $230 with a TCI rebuild kit from Jegs.. they werent listed in the catalog for the 4l60e, but call them and tell them the application.. it was $168 + handling fees for the kit and i got the B&M shift improver kit from aap for $40. it shifts good, took the grinding away and pulls hard.. its a good kit.. i believe the 4l60e has 6 clutches in it and the kit comes with 9 my mechanic was telling me.. includes gears, clutches, complete rubber and paper kit, filter, band, basically everything you need.. but good luck with whatever u do

Old 08-29-2007, 10:41 AM

Just waiting on Bob to finish my TH-350 Tranny I dropped off too for my 1974 Turbo'd Monte Carlo....He made me a good deal on a freshen up for it too. Once both are done I will get them both reinstalled soon.

I bought some "Salad Shooter" factory 16by8 Wheels for my 95' yesterday for $35 each from a salvage yard....Does that sound like a good price? I have two polished out like chrome now but the other two wheels on my car were a little rough to put so much effort into....So I bought some more. I use 4 coats of paint stripper to get to the aluminum....Then I sand the castings smooth and buff them out with rouge...then I use Magic Mix Polish on them until they look like chrome.....Anyone else do this? I am very happy with the factory wheels once they glitter so good. I also am looking for a variant of the factory center caps.....Maybe something flat? smooth? To give the wheel some more mystery...Maybe I need to machine some myself....Like the old rally wheel "Flatcaps"

Any thoughts?

Old 09-17-2007, 02:28 PM

Been under the weather lately with allergies and sinus problems....SO Finally I got the 4L60E back into the Z28...It went smoothly since my dad gave me a tranny jack to make life easier.I filled the convertor with a quart of fluid and installed the convertor. I hoisted it into place and used two 18" extensions and a impact swivel with a 9/16" socket to reach the mounting bolts. But before that I figured out that someone put the flexplate on the motor backwards with the weight facing outwards....That is what caused my broken front pump....There was a shiny mark on the flexplate that was on the weight and on the opposite side of the flexplate was a cresent shaped shiny mark.....obviously a major problem.
I fixed the flexplate with a brand new one just in case the old one was bent. attached the cooler lines (they didnt require blowing out since the tranny didnt pump any shrapnel anywhere) attached the two electric connectors and the shifter. finally after bolting on the torque arm I bolted up the crossmember. the driveshaft would have been easier to put in before the torque arm but hope I dont have to try again.
I filled it with 11 quarts of fluid and started it after 9 to disperse the level and get a reading...Make sure you pull it through the gears once or twice before checking the level or it will read high.
All looked good with no leaks. I backed it out of the garage and took it around the block....shifted ok but I was sure that the assembly lube affects it. I drove it about 35 miles this weekend and by the time it had 35 miles on it it shifts great....very smooth without jerking your head off.....but the harder you push the throttle the firmer it shifts....awesome. was never like that before.
It now has a "beast" sunshell and the wider "kevlar" bands and kevlar clutches and new pump and convertor...The tranny should hold up great behind my very mild motor. But soon I will install some long tubes and a few minor upgrades.
Bob did a great job of rebuilding the tranny and was real reasonble on the price. He understands performance and doesnt frown on the thought of giving it heck.