LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

what to do this winter

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 01:34 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

why don't you tell us what dad's car is and in what aspect you want to "rape" him so we can give you the best advice.

twin-turboing isn't necessary. and i hope you have gobs of money to throw at this thing. your engine alone will probably be in the 5 grand or so range(that may be under cost as well). then you throw everything else to go with it and you're talking some serious coin. i know a .040 KIT doesn't look so bad, but the machine work is whats going to cost you.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:05 PM
1st Gear Member

ok let my make this clear im going to put a 40 over kit in with 8cc pistons and 68cc heads which in turn should drop the comperssion ratio down to about 9 to 9.5:1 which is prme to run 5 to 25 psi *** for the rear end i agree that it will have to be upgraded as for clutch i have a stage 3 and a stock t56 im not planning on running a 8 sec 1/4 my nuts just not that big sorry but the trans will hold up for a while then for the rear end a set of 3.73s in a olds ten bolt ill be plenty so i repeat best head and cam option

Old 08-16-2010, 03:07 PM
1st Gear Member

oh and my dads car is a 06 mustang gt with a roush m90 supercharger and a spd with an 8.8 in the rear so by rape im mean rape

Old 08-17-2010, 08:18 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

you don't need a twin turbo. is there a reason you want to go turbo? meaning is that what you really want?

ps, i'd only go 30 over if it were me. you can make 396 cubes by going 30 over so i don't see the point in going to 40, its just going to make the block weaker.

if it were me and i was dead set on a turbo...i'd build a stout 383. ALL forged internals(you're asking for immediate death if you don't). i'd then have lloyd elliott work over some trickflow or dart heads for me to get the compression ratio you want. you will probably be looking at the LE2 package. i'd call lloyd and see what he thinks

Old 08-17-2010, 08:35 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by camaro_junky24
oh and my dads car is a 06 mustang gt with a roush m90 supercharger and a spd with an 8.8 in the rear so by rape im mean rape
how much boost on dad's car? Is it around 8-9 psi? Does dad have anything else like a CAI, long tube headers and an intercooler? Also, is dad's stang an auto or manny tranny?

If it's a mild setup then dad is putting down about 385-410 whp depending on if it's auto or manny. The torque doesn't kick in until higher rpm's but if it's a manny, he can launch hard and with some sticky tires, dad only needs to replace the LCA's and he can transfer that power. If he makes more boost then he will need more rear end work.

So, to beat dad, you'll need about 400 or more foot pounds of torque and 450 WHP. To rape dad, you'll need over 500WHP and about 500 foot pounds of torque. You want to beat him off the launch don't you? To seriously rape dad you'll need 25-40% more than that. So, you are correct that you are entering into spray or boost territory.

And with that kind of power, say buh bye to your stock drivetrain.

And not to be a realist or anything, but how much on-hand cash do you really have for this project?

Old 08-17-2010, 08:37 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DarkKnight

,,, forced induction creates hp, torque doesnt really become any more or a problem

please elaborate on that statement. I take it to mean that FI does not increase torque???

Old 08-17-2010, 08:51 AM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

FI does create torque, but the power band of the torque is not right off the line if you know how to drive, without stickies you cant go launching a 500 hp car high enough where you will be spooling, so you start with lag boost, useing the motors power, then it spools then you get the boosts power, the rear end will hold jus fine because is slow constant power

Old 08-17-2010, 11:38 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DarkKnight
FI does create torque, but the power band of the torque is not right off the line if you know how to drive, without stickies you cant go launching a 500 hp car high enough where you will be spooling, so you start with lag boost, useing the motors power, then it spools then you get the boosts power, the rear end will hold jus fine because is slow constant power
yeh, but with the S/C on dad's car, sticky tires and some LCA's, dad will kill him off the line so he would need even more top end HP to seriously rape dad. So, he needs to focus on the launch as well and buh bye stock drivetrain.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:59 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

i'm with torque here

Old 08-17-2010, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member

dads car is throwin 490 or so to the ground and its 5spd any way i have my dad off the line now whammer i can see stayin at 30 over like i am now and thank you for the advice like i said this will be a winter project and i do all my work my self since thats what i do as for cash thats what a project means.

Quick Reply: what to do this winter