LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

What the...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 09:38 PM
2nd Gear member
Default What the...?

I bought a 97 Trans Am LT1 6 speed about a week ago. It was a Sc car, so it has pacesetter longtubes into a rando unidentified catback. There are no o2 sensors.. Not one... So my question is this.. Why? How? And what can I do about it? I can see the places for the upstream o2 sensors, but they're plugged. I'm pretty sure the egr is gone. Stored codes show a code for all 4 sensors. It's running really rich, and it backfires when I let off the gas.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:14 PM
The Mustang Hunter

Send your ECM to Solomon and he will tune all of that out...

LT1 PCM Tuning - Welcome!

Good luck and kill Rustanks!!

x01660

Old 07-29-2011, 01:20 PM
Tech Droid

Can't tune out the front O2 sensors, unless you convert to speed density mode. Put the front O2s back in, and the car won't run so rich. As it stands now it is running in open loop which is purposely set rich. The rear O2's will set a code but it should not affect anything, and the rear O2.s can be tuned out

Old 07-29-2011, 02:03 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

is the wiring still there, if so do like pete says and see what happens. could be all it needs. any stickers on the pcm from a tuner?

Old 07-29-2011, 10:32 PM
2nd Gear member

Thanks for the replies guys. The wiring for the front o2 sensors is there. I guess I'll go ahead and put some on the car. Had a little problem earlier, parked the car and she gushed coolant all over the ground.. Like a gallon. I'm hoping that it's just the water pump and not a crack in the block or something. From what I've read, I'll have to replace the opti now.

No stickers anywhere indicating a tune craby. My luck. lol

Old 07-29-2011, 10:58 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Depends where the gusher came from and ran to. Was the engine running too hot? Your radiator cap could have had a seizure and burped the coolant out.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:01 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Depends where the gusher came from and ran to. Was the engine running too hot? Your radiator cap could have had a seizure and burped the coolant out.
Car was running where it normally is as far as temp. It was backfiring so bad before I parked. I opened the hood and saw a stream of coolant on the front of the engine, somewhere around the middle. I'll know for sure tomorrow.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:17 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sounds like a hose popped off or failed. im sure the coolant was not helping.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:00 AM
2nd Gear member

Thanks Craby, ended up just being one of my hose clamps failing. I know a good bit of water got on the opti. Hopefully it'll be alright.

I put some o2 sensors before where the cats would be, and it seems to run a lot better after the car warms up. There still seems to be a small miss. I don't know if it's because the opti is going, or because it's time for plugs and wires.

When looking at the engine from the front of the car, there's a hose that goes into the left valve cover that isn't plugged in, anyone know what this is?

The people before me removed the egr, and idk where the air is, but im pretty sure they removed that. Anyone know of a writeup so that I can make sure it's done right?

Old 08-01-2011, 12:04 AM
The Mustang Hunter

Originally Posted by Mikey.
Thanks Craby, ended up just being one of my hose clamps failing. I know a good bit of water got on the opti. Hopefully it'll be alright.

I put some o2 sensors before where the cats would be, and it seems to run a lot better after the car warms up. There still seems to be a small miss. I don't know if it's because the opti is going, or because it's time for plugs and wires.

When looking at the engine from the front of the car, there's a hose that goes into the left valve cover that isn't plugged in, anyone know what this is?

The people before me removed the egr, and idk where the air is, but im pretty sure they removed that. Anyone know of a writeup so that I can make sure it's done right?
That hose is where the crankcase breather tube. That hose should go to the throttle body.

x01660