LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

visual inspection yeilds questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 10:47 AM
March 2008 ROTM
Default visual inspection yeilds questions

like the title says, i gave it a look ( havent turned a wrench on it yet) but theres a lot of questions..

There is a tube going from the front of the engine and then it has 2 bolts in the back, one on each head. Is this the cooling system? I know these things cool the heads first so thats my first thought.

on the oil pan, above the drain plug, there is a sensor. Is this a oil temp or a oil level sensor?

On the oil filter housing ( for lack of better words..) there is a strange thing ive never seen before, it has two rubber hoses going toward the front of the engine... i take it this is a oil cooler? Ive never seen one and im curious. IF thats what it is, can it be removed and not have any problems? I dont have a cooler setup on my 89.

Accessories: Can i use the old accessory brackets from the TBI on this LT1? Just from looking im going to say no way, but maybe i could make them work with some craftsmanship.

I will probably pull the pan and valve covers and check what i can from there. The motor is a Jasper reman. But it was done about 5 or 6 years ago according to the guy i called at Jasper. BUT, is there a thing that these engines are famous for? Aside from the opti and water pump? I will replace the water pump since the mount to the block looks kinda iffy to me. LOTS of rtv all over it. It probably dosent leak, but im not gonna chance it. Ill also run a compression test. I think i read the stock comp. ratio is about 10.5:1 or something right? The guy at jasper said its most likely just a standard rebuild. To stock specs. But it would be hard to tell without pulling the heads which i dont want to do if i dont have to. Even though the engine is on a stand.

ONE more for now. i see these LT4 intake setups. Can the LT4 manifold mount up to lt1 heads? Im sure there would be all kinds of flow problems from the lt4 ports being bigger than the lt1 ( assumed?) but would it mount correctly?

Ill be doing my own research on these things while i wait, but i want as much info as i can before i rip into this motor. Ive never messed with them and i dont want to mess it up.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:19 PM
March 2008 ROTM

ripped it apart today. the bottom end looks great. Even the head gaskets ( from what i can see looking down the pushrods..) looks better than new. Ill still run that compression test though to make sure.

Came across one more thing that puzzles me though.. on the back of the intake manifold. there are two ports, one is clearly EGR, whats the other thats on the passenger side?

And did these motors have any kind of AIR injection like the 3rd gen cars had?

Old 03-21-2009, 04:14 PM
Overdrive Member

yeah actually he port on the right is egr and the one on the passenger side is the air injection

in regards to your first post, thats not any cooling sytem hoses, i believe you mean hoses going on top of the valve cover ?

im not sure about your oil pan question, do you know what year lt1 this is ?

the lt4 intake will only work with lt4 heads,but you can buy the intake manifold from edelbrock which is ported the same and it will work with lt1 heads

im not sure about the accessiories but i dont think they will work from the tpi or tbi

Old 03-21-2009, 04:31 PM
March 2008 ROTM

hm. did it have tubes that injected air into the headers? i hope not, that looks so trashy to me. What about a actual pump? i know the third gens had a pump drivin by the serp belt. It came out of a 95, but whos to say what year it actually is. I think that tube is a oil level sensor. when i pulled the pan it had a long black tube that went to about the middle. All i got for accessories was the alt water pump and opti. I got a starter with it as well.

almost forgot.. when i turned the motor over to check the bottom end, collant came out of that hose on the top. SO i guess that answers that question.

Last edited by 350rs; 03-21-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Overdrive Member

lt1 had an air pump underneath where the stock factory air box was but it was electronically driven,and it only turned on in the first minute or two and yes it did inject air into either the headers or exhaust manifolds.Ever since i put headers on i deleted the egr and air,i know its not legal but eh whatever

Old 03-21-2009, 08:33 PM
March 2008 ROTM

well crap, this just became a giant PITA..

Old 03-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Overdrive Member

what do you need ? i have an accessories bracket that mounts the alternator and power steering pump and a/c compressor if you need it

Old 03-21-2009, 10:57 PM
March 2008 ROTM

i need drivers side bracket. and pretty much everything from there on. lol

Old 03-22-2009, 08:20 AM
Overdrive Member

the drivers side bracket for the air pump ?

Old 03-22-2009, 01:37 PM
March 2008 ROTM

accessory bracket. or is there one?

Quick Reply: visual inspection yeilds questions