LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Tranny Swap Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 03:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Tranny Swap Questions

Alright so I am swapping my T56 for a 3L60E tranny. I know i know 6 spd is way more fun, but i bracket race and need to be more consistent. HAs anyone done this before and have any advice for me? I have everything I need but ive never done this before so any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:29 AM
4th Gear Member

nope

but if you are building an application specific vehicle, namely a strip only car then go for it. Also I've never heard of a 3L60.

If you are an occasional racer but use the vehcile for daily transportation, then I'd ask you to reconsider your idea

Old 04-20-2012, 08:15 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You know, I'm gonna go waaaay out on a limb here and bet he meant 4L60E. I'm surprised you weren't able to put 3 & 4 together T.I.G.
I hate to see a nice 6 speed car get automatic-ized, there goes some of it's value.
Maybe you can find someone who is interested in changing their automatic car over to a 6 speed, and have a get together to do the transformations. I know that "I want to change my auto to stick" question has been brought up here more than once before. Are you going pro with the drag circuit to make this swap worthwhile, or are you just racing once in a while for the fun of it with your everyday car? You could always learn how to manually shift more consistently. Heck, I remember a time when driving skill is what made the car do what you wanted it to do. Nowadays, the driver is just a pilot working the controls.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:14 AM
In the Staging Lanes

It used to be a street/strip car but its mainly going to be a strip car now. Ive been racing for 5 years and got pretty good at it, ive gone to the bracket finals for our division 4 out of the 5 years (i didn't race last year due to having a kid on the way). Yea I meant a 4L60E lol I already have the tranny and its a buddy of mines old setup but his was already an auto car. I got really good at shifting and was very consisten but it has 193K on it and the tranny was going plus im getting more competitive with my racing so I figured swapping an auto would be worth my while to be more consistent so I can win more money. My old setup was running low 13's but this setup should be running mid-high 11's. I will drive it on the streeet once and a while but its not my daily by any means. Its a 355 built for nitrous and has the 4L60E with a 4000 stall in it. Should be running real good. Just gotta figure out how to do the swap. And I only have 3 weeks to get it done before racing starts.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:24 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Does the new motor come with a Tuned PCM? Can I assume it is LT1?

Old 04-20-2012, 09:43 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

have the trans built and add on a power gear if you can afford it. the difference is very noticeable. about half way down the page. 4L60E Performance Transmissions from PATC

Old 04-20-2012, 09:50 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

your gona need the engine and under dash wire harnesses from a auto, pcm from auto, various sensors and switches under dash and in console.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:59 AM
2nd Gear member

I think the PCMs are the same, just different tunes. Madtuner does it for $55.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:27 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Catmaigne
I think the PCMs are the same, just different tunes. Madtuner does it for $55.
If i were the OP I'd send an email to Solomon and ask just to be sure

Old 04-20-2012, 02:40 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I think an automatic can be De-tuned to run a manual but I do not think the Manual PCM comes with the hardware to control the automatic trans but that is not first hand knowledge. I am just going by what I read on another forum. I am pretty sure it is true for the 93 because the Manual PCMs are pretty common and the Automatic ones are getting hard to find.

Quick Reply: Tranny Swap Questions