Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 09:35 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

number 17 on the list, good info.
4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech Aids

Old 07-31-2011, 05:42 AM
1st Gear Member

why not just thow in a couple of heat valves and have the option of turning it on and off

Old 07-31-2011, 05:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I did a throttle body bypass on my '94 Camaro Z28 over two years ago. The first comment I have is that I did not notice an increase in performance in any way whatsoever. In other words, don't expect to be breaking any new records after this mod. Take everything else I have to say at your own risk - just in case you become the first person to actually get your throttle body to freeze open.

I went through a few winters in Colorado where the temperature went below zero deg F and I did not have any issues. This includes sustained driving for about fours hours in below freezing temps at higher speeds. Before I did this modification, I did an internet search to find someone who actually had their throttle body freeze after doing the bypass. I could not find a single occurrence of this (I have not looked since then). Perhaps it is possible under certain conditions that I have not encountered, but I am skeptical. Or, maybe no one has posted after doing it because they didn't survive the crash. So if I don't post again after the next winter, it might be because I was wrong.

Good Luck.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:52 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
The downside is, your throttle blade could freeze up in the winter time, which is what that line is there to prevent.
i bypassed this on my 3.4 and didnt have a problem in the very cold NY winter

Old 08-01-2011, 05:01 PM
1st Gear Member

coolant would otherwise heat up the incoming air?

Old 08-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Overdrive Member

I doubt that unless you have water comming into the intake air stream you would not be any chance of the throttle sticking open due to ice. Another thing is the engine bay would have to not heat up any of the incomming air and we all know the engine bay in these cars gets good and hot no matter what. GM put the coolant pass through there to heat up the incomming air to help with fuel atomization, since warmer air will accept fuel easier. IT was just to help emissions out a little. Gaining 6hp? really? I doubt anyone has they as$dyno calibrated that good. A machine may be able to tell, you will not.

Massey

oh and those iPhone dynos... Yea one told me the airplane I was in only had 450HP when we were taking off. (I think it missed the mark just a little) and my arm had over 1000 (again another miss)

Old 08-01-2011, 09:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I guess if you did full exhaust gaining 25 then cai for 10 t- body for 5 tune for 15 and doing the bypass for 6 and making a grand total of 61 hp does sound better than splay doing a bypass for 6 lol I guess if starting out with 245 rwhp and adding 6 to get 251 doesn't compare to 306 rwhp. Not a mod to brag about but does add up nonetheless

Old 08-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by Massey
I doubt that unless you have water comming into the intake air stream you would not be any chance of the throttle sticking open due to ice. Another thing is the engine bay would have to not heat up any of the incomming air and we all know the engine bay in these cars gets good and hot no matter what. GM put the coolant pass through there to heat up the incomming air to help with fuel atomization, since warmer air will accept fuel easier. IT was just to help emissions out a little. Gaining 6hp? really? I doubt anyone has they as$dyno calibrated that good. A machine may be able to tell, you will not.

Massey

oh and those iPhone dynos... Yea one told me the airplane I was in only had 450HP when we were taking off. (I think it missed the mark just a little) and my arm had over 1000 (again another miss)
massey i didnt know you were superman stronger than airplanes your the man lol

Old 08-02-2011, 12:16 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Massey
I doubt that unless you have water comming into the intake air stream you would not be any chance of the throttle sticking open due to ice. Another thing is the engine bay would have to not heat up any of the incomming air and we all know the engine bay in these cars gets good and hot no matter what. GM put the coolant pass through there to heat up the incomming air to help with fuel atomization, since warmer air will accept fuel easier. IT was just to help emissions out a little.
Fuel atomization can be a by-product, but the main reason why the TB heater is there is to prevent freezing in cold weather. GM isn't the only one, many many car manufacturers have heater lines to heat the TB. It's much the same concept as the old school carbureted engines that had an exhaust crossover passage in the intake manifold. That was to make sure the carb operated correctly, and didn't freeze up in the winter. "Water coming into the intake stream" is called moisture, or humidity. And it exists. And yes, the engine bay can get good and hot, but until it does, it isn't. Air in motion has a cooling effect, and cooling off already extremely cold air can create a freezing effect (think wind-chill). Sure, the conditions would have to be right for the TB to freeze up, but the car manufacturers don't want to take that chance.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:38 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i have seen gas dripping cause ice to form on a warm day. lol, remember warm here is not that warm.