Thinking about buying a LT1

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 03:27 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

its a secret

Old 01-21-2009, 03:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes

LOL nice. So hey I took your advice and have been researching all the mods that you were talking about. I pulled up the Mods where to start thread... anyway... I'm looking into two items first. An intake... should I just go ahead and do the cold air... and Im also looking at doing the exhaust. The exhaust will have to be done piece by piece... for lack of funds. Anyway, which brands seem to offer the best performance??

Old 01-22-2009, 12:16 AM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PaceYourself92
So i found a nice little 1993 LT1 with a six speed manuel but i want to know what to look out for. I don't have a bias for ford or chevy so i don't want anyone telling me its a good buy just because its a camaro. I just want the pros and the cons of the car thanks.
Clogged heater cores seem to be a common problem,just had mine replaced.
There is a lot of one year only stuff on the '93's,'94 they changed a lot of things.
Headers for instance, if you want the ones with all the factory emissions hook ups they are a '93 only part.
The optispark for that car is a '92-'94 part '95 it changed.
I have a '93 and have been learning a lot of this stuff,the ignition and EFI are controlled by an ECM,'94 and later has the PCM with the trans etc controlled by the brain box too not just the motor,lots of little things make the '93 different than the rest of the LT1s.
I wouldn't let any of that stop you from buying a '93 if it's a good deal,I love mine.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:36 AM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by whammer3024
cams would be the same...different heads and intake really...doing a cam swap requires quite a few upgrades to be done before you get there. headers, cold air intake, catback, gears, if you're auto a good torque converter, then you can look into a cam. if you put a cam in before that you will be starving it and not getting what you want completely
WHAMMER YOU'RE BETTER THAN THIS!

Ok, now that I have that out of the way...

The LT4 and the LT1 really only share the same block, distributor and basic design. The LT4 included an upgraded intake manifold and heads to increase flow and compression. It had a slightly larger cam shaft and 1.6:1 roller rockers to increase valve lift. It had a different crankshaft and better rings on the pistons which allowed them to rev it higher without risking oil blow by. You'll probably hear a good amount of talk about the "LT4 Hotcam" which is actually more aggressive than a stock LT4 cam, but it's still pretty small. That said, all this talk about cams and you're not even to the bolt on stage yet. You need to work on a cold air intake and full header back exhaust. For your CAI go with one of the big brands such as Moroso or K&N, the chrome intakes off Ebay aren't going to flow as well. As far as your cat back exhaust, look over youtube or check out www.ls1sounds.com for some good comparisons of cat-back systems. They'll all get you about the same HP, so choose the one that you like the sound and look of the best.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:14 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

slvr...i kind of figured he didn't have that much knowledge about his car at this point so i didn't want to get too detailed, lol. i guess i did fail on the cam part...i spaced that one. give me a break, i quit drinking pop and its effecting me, haha

Old 01-22-2009, 09:08 AM
In the Staging Lanes

LOL. No he doesn't know a ton about the car. But you guys are both helping out. Thanks a lot.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:14 AM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by whammer3024
slvr...i kind of figured he didn't have that much knowledge about his car at this point so i didn't want to get too detailed, lol. i guess i did fail on the cam part...i spaced that one. give me a break, i quit drinking pop and its effecting me, haha
Alright, I'll cut you a break on this one, but we all know I'm a pretty technical...well, who am I kidding, I'm very technical, so I like specifics...

Old 01-23-2009, 08:03 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

i know you are slvr...i'm actually kind of disappointed in you for not posting the cam specs of the lt4, lol

Old 01-23-2009, 11:23 PM

Thanks for the info guys this helps out alot.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:05 PM

The GM Optispark is an optically-triggered ignition distributor used on the LT1, LT4 and L99 engines. The "opti" has two parts, a low-voltage optical section and a high-voltage cap and rotor section.
Originally Posted by PaceYourself92
I know this is a stupid question but what is optispark?

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a LT1