LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Tech unable to retrieve diagnostic codes - 95 Z28 LT1

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 05:42 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

then you have a code reader not a scanner. they dont work on a 95. if your going to buy one just get one that works on a 95. heres what actron has to say on it. http://www.actron.com/faq_detail.php?pid=16150&id=18
cheaper to buy a aldl cable and use your computer. http://www.moates.net/gm-obd1-pre1996-c-64.html

Old 03-02-2011, 10:26 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
then you have a code reader not a scanner. they dont work on a 95. if your going to buy one just get one that works on a 95. heres what actron has to say on it. http://www.actron.com/faq_detail.php?pid=16150&id=18
cheaper to buy a aldl cable and use your computer. http://www.moates.net/gm-obd1-pre1996-c-64.html
yes, it is cheaper to buy an aldl cable but, if you also have OBD2 vehicles (I have several) then it makes sense to buy a good scanner like the 9145 as it works across all the platforms.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:31 PM

In our shop at my college, there is a breakout box that you plug into the DLC and it has 16 leds on it. It will tell you if the dlc has power, ground, etc etc. It works great to make sure there is communication from the car and the scan tool. not sure what brand it is, if anyone wants to know and i can get the info soon.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by craby
I have this:http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9001-...9144999&sr=8-1

It has three prongs, not two like I might have said.

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
yes, it is cheaper to buy an aldl cable but, if you also have OBD2 vehicles (I have several) then it makes sense to buy a good scanner like the 9145 as it works across all the platforms.
Not to sound like a jerk, but I refuse to spend that kind of money when I can have codes read for nothing at Advanced or Autozone (for regular cars). I"m thinking I can get an OBD2 connector for my laptop and find software for that but I don't know if anyone makes freeware for that kind of application.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:28 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ThisGuy68
I have this:http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9001-...9144999&sr=8-1

It has three prongs, not two like I might have said.

Not to sound like a jerk, but I refuse to spend that kind of money when I can have codes read for nothing at Advanced or Autozone (for regular cars). I"m thinking I can get an OBD2 connector for my laptop and find software for that but I don't know if anyone makes freeware for that kind of application.

you don't sound like a jerk at all; you simply sound uninformed

At this time, I presently own 6 vehicles. I don't drive them all but I bought and paid for all of them and they are all titled and registered to me. I am the "fleet technician" for not only those 6, but also for several of my buddies and their kids cars. The only problem is that I get paid in gratitude, not cash. But I digress.

the 9145 not only can read codes on the OBD1 in my 95Z it also shows me the data from all of the sensors.

On OBD2 vehicles, it also not only reads codes but outputs more live data to the screen. So, when I'm out looking at used vehicles for a project, or for a friend or my own consumption, I get a wealth of information in a short period of time. I also get that same info from my own vehicles when I need it.

So, you are now informed as to why the 9145 is worth the price.

Last edited by torque_is_good; 03-03-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:46 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

three pronged unit is a code reader and not a scanner. good luck finding a parts store that can scann a 95, very rare for them to have. if you read the moates link it will tell you of some freeware to use.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:45 PM

you don't sound like a jerk at all; you simply sound uninformed

At this time, I presently own 6 vehicles. I don't drive them all but I bought and paid for all of them and they are all titled and registered to me. I am the "fleet technician" for not only those 6, but also for several of my buddies and their kids cars. The only problem is that I get paid in gratitude, not cash. But I digress.

the 9145 not only can read codes on the OBD1 in my 95Z it also shows me the data from all of the sensors.

On OBD2 vehicles, it also not only reads codes but outputs more live data to the screen. So, when I'm out looking at used vehicles for a project, or for a friend or my own consumption, I get a wealth of information in a short period of time. I also get that same info from my own vehicles when I need it.

So, you are now informed as to why the 9145 is worth the price.
That still doesn't sound worth it as my laptop cost that much and does way more than just read codes. I know there are programs to read live data from the pcm for OBDII vehicles and all they need is a cable to link them. What I'm wondering is if these cables will allow me access to the same information in OBD1 format. A scanner is a unitasker and I can't justify paying that, but I don't have 6 vehicles. I just don't use or need to use a scanner often enough to pay $320 bucks for one but you do. Just a difference of needs.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:54 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ThisGuy68
That still doesn't sound worth it as my laptop cost that much and does way more than just read codes. I know there are programs to read live data from the pcm for OBDII vehicles and all they need is a cable to link them. What I'm wondering is if these cables will allow me access to the same information in OBD1 format. A scanner is a unitasker and I can't justify paying that, but I don't have 6 vehicles. I just don't use or need to use a scanner often enough to pay $320 bucks for one but you do. Just a difference of needs.

I paid $200 shipped brand new from Amazon. it doesn't just read codes. It also reads live data and outputs it to the screen. On the OBD2 vehicles it reads a heck of a lot more than it does on my 95Z but it is one heck of a unit. Unlike my laptop, I can easily carry it around, drop it without fear of breakage, and it's up and running in amtter of seconds. I also don't get that silly hourglass on the screen as the operating system is going into some frenzied state that only a reboot will cure........................I'm going to get a drink before I start cursing Bill Gates

Old 03-03-2011, 05:56 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yes it will give similar info, i dont think its as detailed. this is from my 93 obd1
Name:  P5200006.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  52.5 KB

Old 03-03-2011, 10:47 PM

I paid $200 shipped brand new from Amazon. it doesn't just read codes. It also reads live data and outputs it to the screen. On the OBD2 vehicles it reads a heck of a lot more than it does on my 95Z but it is one heck of a unit. Unlike my laptop, I can easily carry it around, drop it without fear of breakage, and it's up and running in amtter of seconds. I also don't get that silly hourglass on the screen as the operating system is going into some frenzied state that only a reboot will cure........................I'm going to get a drink before I start cursing Bill Gates
Getting a drink, finally something we can agree on!
Anyway, I'm watching a couple on eBay now because it is a valuable tool and more portable. I do have the strange feeling that OBD3 will come out tomorrow though...