LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

supercharger or no?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 02:11 PM
Default supercharger or no?

I have a Stock 96 Z28 with an automatic. i'm ready to start building up my car and I'm kinda partial to the supercharger route. I dont want a hardcore race care just somewhere around the 450-500 HP range. my question is what level of engine upgrades would I need to prep the engine to properly handle the supercharger.

Thanks

Old 12-20-2011, 02:21 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by ****y_****
I have a Stock 96 Z28 with an automatic. i'm ready to start building up my car and I'm kinda partial to the supercharger route. I dont want a hardcore race care just somewhere around the 450-500 HP range. my question is what level of engine upgrades would I need to prep the engine to properly handle the supercharger.

Thanks
in order to boost the car your going to need to replace all the internals with forged upgrade the fuel system and the computer along with the trans and rearend... and find a place to bolt up a supercharger (also i dont think there is a supercharger for the lt1) if you want to go forced induction i recommend a procharger or a turbo setup

Old 12-20-2011, 02:42 PM

I'm not yet commited to forced induction. would it be easier to go all motor? this may be a stupid question but what are the main differences between a procharger and a supercharger?

Old 12-20-2011, 04:50 PM
2nd Gear member

You can get to 500 on motor alone, but it won't be cheap. Adding a turbo will be significantly less expensive, although to get to your goal you will have to build a complete powertrain.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:28 PM
2nd Gear member

You can use a turbo or procharger but it's easier and much cheaper to go all motor.
Intake + Exhaust + Cam + Heads + Tune
You also need to upgrade the rear. A 7.5 inch 10 bolt won't cut it.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:23 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

I'm not yet commited to forced induction. would it be easier to go all motor? this may be a stupid question but what are the main differences between a procharger and a supercharger?
a procharger is a "belt driven turbo" vs a supercharger that replaces the intake manifold

Old 12-20-2011, 07:49 PM

a procharger is a brand name like vortec.
they make two type of supercharger a certrivical and i cant rember right off. but you can only put a certrivical type on a lt1
and all supercharger runs off belts

i had all 4 types.
my first. stock engine with vortec supercharger put down 350hp on the wheels on 8psi daily driver $2000

2nd i switch to a 72mm turbo sts kit with 8 psi and put down 370hp with 8psi $2000 daily driver
third went all motor and put down 580hp on the crank on pump gas $20k some what daily driver

went twin turbo front mount put down 510 to the wheels with major boost leak ay 3psi now fix pushing 12psi no numbers im going to 20-25 psi in spring. priceless some what daily driver

but you can run 8 psi on a stock lt1 all day with no issues all you need is a inline pump a fuel regulator and a tune. new spark plugs. vortec sells a kit that come with everything a pump a fmu instead of a regulator and a ignition box for ignition timming so no tune is needed i ran the igition box type for my supercharger and sts kit

Old 12-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by tt383lt1
a procharger is a brand name like vortec.
they make two type of supercharger a certrivical and i cant rember right off. but you can only put a certrivical type on a lt1
and all supercharger runs off belts

i had all 4 types.
my first. stock engine with vortec supercharger put down 350hp on the wheels on 8psi daily driver $2000

2nd i switch to a 72mm turbo sts kit with 8 psi and put down 370hp with 8psi $2000 daily driver
third went all motor and put down 580hp on the crank on pump gas $20k some what daily driver

went twin turbo front mount put down 510 to the wheels with major boost leak ay 3psi now fix pushing 12psi no numbers im going to 20-25 psi in spring. priceless some what daily driver

but you can run 8 psi on a stock lt1 all day with no issues all you need is a inline pump a fuel regulator and a tune. new spark plugs. vortec sells a kit that come with everything a pump a fmu instead of a regulator and a ignition box for ignition timming so no tune is needed i ran the igition box type for my supercharger and sts kit
i knew all SCs ran off belts i just didnt know how to explain it anyother way

Old 12-20-2011, 08:32 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I dont want a hardcore race care just somewhere around the 450-500 HP range.
I know I am old but at what point did 500 HP become not hardcore??? What am I missing. 450 HP will destroy the stock drive line pretty quick? At 500 HP what part of the motor is still stock? To make a 500 HP driver that was dependable you would have to upgrade every single part of the driveline starting with the radiation and ending with the rear axles.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:22 PM

i do need to keep it a daily driver so maybe 500 HP is a bit high. i just want enough power to beat a stock new camaro SS. I want to keep it drivable. i already planned on upgrading the whole drivetrain to handle the power. i dont want race car power just fast street car power.

Quick Reply: supercharger or no?