LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

still over heating!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 09:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: still over heating!!!!

I am having the exact same problem on my 93[:@]. Keep us posted on what happens!!

[/align]

Old 02-17-2007, 09:47 PM
1st Gear Member

okay well you shouild drain the coolant replace the thermostat, try changing your ect, check you're fan fuses, ive done all this. stillhavent got the ac charged, but im going to just buy the manual switch.
do you have your ac charged?

Old 02-17-2007, 10:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I know the thermostat is good. I just changed it a week ago. That was my first thought when I noticed it was heating up while sitting still. Took off radiator cap and revvedengine and saw the coolant being circulated so I don't believe itis a bad waterpump either. While I have yet to check the actual AC charge, it does seem to be functioning properly (ie clutch engaging, blowing cold air, etc). The fan relays tested good and I do have power at the outlets. I will try the ECT next also seeing as that is logical. Hopefully it will work. Or else I too will be buying a switch!!!
I hate working on my own cars......At least its 14 degrees and snowing and not 70 and sunny where I would want to be driving

[/align]

Old 02-18-2007, 12:43 AM
1st Gear Member

yea that suxs, its 14 degres there and your overheating still!!lol hah well that suxs try the ect and let me know wjhat happens i got minee for 15 bucks at kraigens and it was easy to install

Old 02-18-2007, 01:10 AM
Tech Droid

Do one more thing, check that the AC is fully charged. The fans should kick in if you turn on the AC.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:52 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: z28pete

Do one more thing, check that the AC is fully charged. The fans should kick in if you turn on the AC.
my a/c isnt fully charged at all ill try that. thanks pete

Old 02-18-2007, 10:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I had a little time today to look at the car. It seems I was wrong about the AC..... when I turn on the AC in the car the clutch on the compressor does not engage. Not sure if it was too cold outside for the air to come on so I switched to defrost and the compressor still doesn't cycle. I think I just discovered another problem...[:@] Now I don't know what to do first, try the ECT and see what happens or troubleshoot the Compressor clutch? I would think even if the AC/defrost is not kicking in I would still have one fan come on to keep it from heating up--which isn't happening. Any other thoughts?? I let the car run untill the needle is just below the red and still no fans so I shut it off. The check gauges light wasn't on. I would think by then the fan would come on

Old 02-19-2007, 02:28 AM
1st Gear Member

my car was getting hot at first when i took it for a drive (after putting in the ect) and then it would cool down. the needle would fall from the red down to half way markso quick like when you turn yer car on and the gauge needles all come alive.
but then after a couple of hot cold situations it stayed in a good range but the needle would fluctuate from 35% to about 50% constantly. id say it was hitting air pockets at first anbd it was just cycling the new coolant i filled in it.anywayss......

yea your fans are supposed to becoming on at the 3/4 mark from what ive found out, and if you've rested the relays and circuit and you're fans are working fine then id do the ect cause that is what tells the fans to come on at a high temp.

i would get the ect if i were you,cause it wont hurt you to get one and its realy cheap(15 bucks for mine)make sure you get teflon tape cause you'll have to put it on the threads of the ect when puting it in. id wait untill the car is toataly cool or just drain the coolant cause itll squirt out the holes as soon as you take the ect out.

im going to charge my a/c tomarrow ill let you know how it goes

Old 02-19-2007, 05:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for the help guys!!! The new ECT fixed the problem. The new one i got from NAPA for $10.50 included a new male connector. Changed the connector, ECT and checked coolant then let it run for about 1/2 hour. It got to the red again and as soon as it did the fan kicked on and like kyleb said, the gauge went right down to around halfway!!!! Also the defrost andAC started cycling again the right way. These forums are great thanks again!

Old 02-19-2007, 08:11 PM
1st Gear Member

i am happy to hear that you're car is running good again!

Quick Reply: still over heating!!!!