LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

starting problems. plz help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 11:25 PM
Default starting problems. plz help.

i know this is kinda extra long but plz help.

ok. so i have a 95 z28. i was told that my optispark was going bad so i changed it.

that night after i changed it took i down the street to just make sure everything was working properly. i turned it on and let it idle for a bit to makesure it wasnt going to over heat on me driving. imade sure the water levels were good and that the water pump of any of the hoses weren't leaking, and they werent while it idle.

as soon as i took off the crack in the water pump started leaking. the temp started to rise above normal once i was already down the street. on the way back i got pulled over by some *** hole cop for stopping on the painted crosswalk, the entire time the temp was in the red. after that was finished i drove home which was just about a block away. i pulled into a neighbors driveway to back out so i could park in the street and it died. as soon asi changed ot from drive to reverse it just stopped. so i pushed it the rest of the way. the next day i turned it on filled the water levels so i could find where it was leakin from. for about 4 hours i turned it on and off with no problems trying to fix and find out where it was coming from. i thought i fixed the problem so i took it for another spin. it started out fine while driving everytime iaccelerated there was no problembut after about a minute or so of cruisin through the subdivision it started actin wierd. when i would press on the gas it would bog down and try to die. i figured it was the water pump leakin on the opti and messing with the spark to the cylinders.

so i replaced the pump( thats when i found out the old one was cracked)

now when i turn the key to start it it tries to turn on but it doesnt. it almost sounds like its gonna backfire but doesnt. when trying to crank it the tach rapidly moves from the idle rpm of 600 to around 3500rpmi have no idea what the problem is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. =]

Old 10-07-2008, 11:51 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: starting problems. plz help.

have you checked your MAF? Changed your plugs and injectors and checked the spark plug wires? checked pressure on your radiator cap?

Old 10-08-2008, 12:02 AM

i know its not the MAF. my friend has a 96 so we switched to see if he had the same problem.
the wires are good. there's no cracks or tears in the rubber, they haven't been melted anywhere.
and i replaced the rad cap. with the first water pump. i thought it was a pressure problem when it was leaking, but it was the crack in the old one.

what types of overheating damage would cause it to do this??
i honestly think it is something due to the overheating.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:11 AM
4th Gear Member

Well when i bought my Camaro it would get real hot real quick when i was stuck in traffic or stoppedand then once it would start it would cool down alil. I brought it to my mechanic and he said the previous owner took some hose off on the cooling system and it overheated.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:25 AM

na.before all of the new parts it would run at around 165. the previous owner hollowed out the thermistat. i think i know what the problem is.

i already know the timing is off a lil bit because of the bogging down that it was doing. the only reason i can think that its not starting is because when i took the water pump off some water might have spilled on it and has settled in the cap and rotor