LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

skipping under accel..

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:15 PM
Default skipping under accel..

plug wire that was cut buy a pully so i taped it up till i could get some new ones it ran fine for a week then it started skiping agen so i put new plugs and wires on it now it cranks and idles find but when i give it gas it skips.. if i take of slow it runs and picks up speed find but if i give it half a peddal or more it misses.. what might be the problem now? "before i but the new plugs and wires in it idled rough, and after it idles fine" also one of the plugs i took out was wet and smeled like gas..

Old 05-28-2009, 10:51 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

welcome to the forum. what yr and model? also what motor? recheck all the wires and make sure the all plugged in right at the plug and cap. may need to take it out and open it up for a bit to clean the cylinder.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Cool

my car is a 94 z28 with a lt1 custom exhaust k/n cold air ind. when you say (take it out and open it up for a bit to clean the cylinder.) do you mean to pull the plug that had the gas on it out and turn the engine over ? or just pull the plug and let it air out.. the plug did have gas and some trash on it.. i dont know much history on the car i just bout it last week..
Thanks

Old 05-29-2009, 04:51 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sorry. i ment to run the car hard. put her in 3rd if its a auto and punch it. u will see if shes carboned up, off white or grey smoke will come out of the exhaust. dont get carried away but hold the rpms up at about 4k for a short while. 10 or so seconds.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:55 PM

ok got home from work all wires are tight. cranked up and drove it down the road this time it did not skip but it did not have any power it was like driveing a v6 i put it in 2nd gear and pulled the rpms to 4grand for a bit no smoke. on take of it spun a litle and then grabed.... it used to spin till u let of the gas ..

Old 05-29-2009, 06:59 PM
Unhappy

thought i would try it agen.. this time it started stumbeling agen and i could hear a knocking when it stumbled.. if i floored it it would shif down and go with lack of power but did not stumble or knock.. now im worried why would it knock when it stumbles.. im relly stressed about this..

Old 05-29-2009, 07:48 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

u better double check to make sure u got the wires in the right place. just maybe and its good to make sure.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:41 AM

im relly sure thay are right i onley took 1wire off at a time.. i was talking to my friend the other day and he sead i need to change the opti spark. not relly something i wanted to do.. i think i will change the cap and roter with the one from msd.. when i looked it up it sead cap and roter.. is this all i need or do i half to change the whole distribitor?
thanx agen

Old 06-01-2009, 11:58 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if the opti is bad it will do no good to change cap and rotor. u will have to change the distribitor which is the opti. it very well could be the opti. do not get a rebuilt opti. they are not known for being reliable. use a msd or gm performance.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:32 PM
2nd Gear member

Well I was in a similar boat last year when I bought my camaro and I didn't know if it was my opti that was bad so I bought a cap and rotor kit off ebay and it confirmed my suspicions of it being the opti, they don't run as great as a msd or ac delco replacement, but they work pretty well for trouble shooting. You might want to try running some seafoam through it and get rid of any build up that could be in your cylinders, made my camaro look like a diesel going down the road

Quick Reply: skipping under accel..