LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

rocker arms

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Overdrive Member

What I can understand is a "percieved" increase in the duration due to the valve opening faster. If the valve opens faster (which it would have to due to the ratio increase) then the gasses comming in and out would have a little more time to be effective, thus making is seem like the druation is increased. But mechanicly I cant see how it could increase without redesigning the cam's profile.

Massey

Old 03-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Ninja Administrator

disagree. the time open is not affected by lift. the opening will be larger at any given point in time, but the time between completely open to completely shut is exactly the same per revolution of the engine.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Overdrive Member

I never said the time was changed, just the perception was changed. The valve will open faster and close faster but not for a longer period. This will allow more air in sooner due to the increase in the lift at any given point. There is no mechanical change but there is an effective change in the valve opening faster. That is why I said "percieved" duration.

Does that make sense?

Massey

Old 03-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Ninja Administrator

Originally Posted by Massey
What I can understand is a "percieved" increase in the duration due to the valve opening faster. If the valve opens faster (which it would have to due to the ratio increase) then the gasses comming in and out would have a little more time to be effective, thus making is seem like the druation is increased. But mechanicly I cant see how it could increase without redesigning the cam's profile.

Massey
I may have misunderstood what you meant here then.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Ninja Administrator

I think i know what u mean. but that is much closer to an increase in lift than in duration. (actually... it IS an increase in lift)
both things will allow more air in, but the difference is in air/unit time vs. total time.
duration affects total time, lift affects air/unit time.
Changing the rocker is the same thing as swapping out your cam for one with the same duration but a small increase in lift. would you apply your above statement to a situation like this cam swap?

Old 03-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Overdrive Member

I kinda figured that so I tried to explain it differently. It is all good. I agree with you 100% you cant change the mechanics of the cam with the rocker. Now a different size roller on the lifter could cause a duration change but I have never heard of some one redesigning lifters to make for a longer duration... Too expensive.

Massey

Old 03-07-2011, 03:35 PM
4th Gear Member

see what I started...............

if you measure at 50 then yes, but, since the valves are open sooner then it does slightly change duration. I'm heading out but I will find the graph. I don't make up these things because I too simply thought it was lift. Now I'm not saying that you'll get noticable duration change and it's an alternative to a cam swap.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by SpecterGT260
quick question about this:
in 1.5 rockers, is the 1.5 a result of the ratio between the distance between the pushrod contact point and the rocker bolt and the distance from the rocker bolt to the spring cap contact point?
(pushrod to center/center to spring). If so then your calculation makes sense. But i was under the impression that the rocker was a direct measurement either of the arm distance or something like that. If so then the actual lobe lift couldnt be calculated from the numbers given. I have seen similar calcs done, but never calling the .334 number the actual lobe lift. usually they refer to a stock setup with the 1.5 rocker, and then do a ratio calculation to find new lift. i.e. if lift was .500 with a stock 1.5 rocker, the lift would be .500*(1.6/1.5)=.534 with a 1.6. but this calculation uses the ratio in a way that skips any actual cam measurements.
I honestly dont know either way. I just wanted to bring up how I have seen this done in the past
Yes. If you look at a rocker arm, the pushrod contact point is closer to the pivot point than the valve contact point is. With 1.5 rockers, the valve gets pushed down 1.5 times the amount the lifter is pushing the other end of the rocker up. All cams give lift specs, both at the lobe and at the valve. Look at the Comp Cams link below as an example. They show intake lobe lift at .319 with valve lift being .479. Calculating .319 x 1.5 (rocker), you get .4785 (the .479 advertised valve lift). That's how it's figured.
http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...?csid=107&sb=2

Old 03-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Ninja Administrator

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
see what I started...............

if you measure at 50 then yes, but, since the valves are open sooner then it does slightly change duration. I'm heading out but I will find the graph. I don't make up these things because I too simply thought it was lift. Now I'm not saying that you'll get noticable duration change and it's an alternative to a cam swap.
im still not sure if were saying the same thing or not. if you remove the "but" then we are agreeing. however the "but" makes it sound like you start talking about total duration again, in which case the answer is no

Old 03-07-2011, 08:37 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

it is logical to think that with a increased ratio that the valve would began to open sooner. but then logic and physics are sometimes not the same.

Quick Reply: rocker arms