LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Replacing optispark

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 07:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Replacing optispark

I have a 1994 Camaro z28 auto with 88,000 miles and I'm pretty sure the original opti is still in it. As of now it doesn't have any issues and the winter is coming up should I replace it now or wait for symptoms to start. When do the original ones start going out?

Old 10-12-2009, 07:21 PM
1st Gear Member

i usually kill them first... you will be able to tell when it is going out when the car misfires randomly. Generally you will be able to get on it and the misfire will go away initially but it will progressively worsen over time

Old 10-12-2009, 07:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Actually i just looked at the second sticky and he does a better job explaining the symptoms than i did. there is also more info about them but when you replace go with the ac delco gm opti....dont waste 500+ dollars on the msd opti which is not as good.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Right now my car is misfiring at idle under load almost like it is skipping. My idle is at 600 rpms when it does this. I figured it could be plugs or wires, also I have an exhaust leak on the passenger side at the exhaust manifolds. Could this cause this bc it is probably making the right side run richer? Any ideas? Thanks

Old 10-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If the opti is causing a miss, you should be able to read an error code, even if your SES light isn't on. Usually replacing the opti, or the cap & rotor is done as needed, instead of a normal maintenance since it's a bigger project to do.
I don't see your exhaust leak causing a misfire unless it was pouring out and not letting much flow across the oxy sensor.
If plugs or wires haven't been changed, replacing them could wake up the engine. It would be a good place to start.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Unless the leak is massive then that is not the issue. The computer will not make adjustments to balance the mixture on one side vs. the other. It would throw the check engine light if it were that bad. like previously stated plugs and wires first. I am suspicious about the idle only? How bout when driving? a random misfire will point toward the opti.... a constant would lead me in the direction of plugs and wires....pull a plug and see what it looks like . When did you last treat her to a tune up?

Last edited by 383Stro; 10-12-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:15 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Well I just bought the car about a month and a half ago. The previous owner "said" that the plugs were changed in 2000 about 15,000 miles ago as with the wires. Since the car has only been driven for 15k in nine years are there other things to look out for? Already did oil and filter change, pcv valve, and fuel filter. Also what components on the car that deal with idle, are affected by heat? I have idle hunting only when he car gets really hot(above 220) replaced TPS, IAC, MAP and MAF and IAT are good. No vacuum leaks or codes. Thanks alot

Old 10-13-2009, 05:34 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if its been setting the opti is probly getting rusty on the inside. heat can effect the coil and the ignition modual so these may be something to check. why is the car heating up? i dont think the car likes it.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Is that temp abnormal? I have only owned it for about a month and a half so its normal to me lol. Well I checked the coolant and its rusty. FML lol. Probably why it is running hot. I'm thinking there is water in there(coolant can't get rusty can it?)Could this cause my idle issue. BTW i'm just going to replace the damn optispark anyway and the water pump for fun.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:36 PM
1st Gear Member

i wouldnt replace the water pump..they are pretty hardy with the steel impeller and all...I would throw in a new thermostat though..prob rusty and in the LT1 it opens as it heats so it may only be opening so far. Go with a 180* and make sure you get out the air bubbles, you may need to fill and drive hitting the breaks hard to work out the remaining pockets and there are two bleeder screws on the necks. Flush the system thoroughly as the block is responsile for the rust u are seeing gl

Quick Reply: Replacing optispark