LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

rear main oil seal...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 08:50 PM
1st Gear Member
Default rear main oil seal...

dammit. it's leakin. $637 to get it fixed. I was thinkin I just probably wouldn't..because all it'll do is very slowly drain the oil right? so I just need to stay on top of the level. other than that there's no real issue with a minor leak there right? I just figured it's not worth over 600 just to not have a little oil leak

Old 10-08-2010, 09:10 PM
4th Gear Member

it depends how bad the leak is. I suggested this to a friend for his kid's Saturn and it stopped the leak. It's worth a try and no, it doesn't ruin the engine.

I know a few others who had success and some who haven't. Again, it depends on how bad yours is but it's worth a try

http://www.amazon.com/White-Shepherd.../dp/B002BG2OHI

Oh, and every time I've dropped a tranny I always replace rear main seals even if it's twice in one year.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Are you sure it is the rear main? Because the cars are also prone to leak at the rear intake seal. We ran one for a year leaking from the rear main and just added oil. The car wasnt a daily driver though and it was one nasty sucker underneath when we went to fix it.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:06 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It's not that hard to do yourself, the hardest part is dropping the tranny. If you do, make sure and get a gasket for a 97, they changed them that year and are better than the previous years.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Tech Droid

You posted in the LT1 section, so I assume you are talking about the LT1 engine. Before attacking the rear main seal, check for oil leaking between the rear of the intake manifold and the engine block. This is a common leak point, and the oil leaking down the rear of the block gets between the bell housing and the block making it look like it is coming from the rear main seal.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:29 AM
1st Gear Member

yes it's an lt1. Goodyear said it's the rear main, and the front main is too but not as
bad. I have a drip pan under it now and it has 5 drips it looks exactly like a negative parabola y=-x^2. is that consistent with rear main and front main??

Old 10-16-2010, 06:48 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ricer_killaZ28
yes it's an lt1. Goodyear said it's the rear main, and the front main is too but not as
bad. I have a drip pan under it now and it has 5 drips it looks exactly like a negative parabola y=-x^2. is that consistent with rear main and front main??

have you at least tried White Shepherd like I posted?

Old 10-16-2010, 07:29 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

are you sure its not the intake manifold leaking. they are known for leaking at the front and back. have a look and see if you can see a trail of oil going up the motor to the intake. mine looked the same way like the front and rear mains were leaking but after tracking the oil i found the rvt seals on both ends of the intake were failing. if you take the flywheel/torque coverter cover off and theres oil in it then i would be more apt to think its the main seal.

Last edited by craby; 10-16-2010 at 07:31 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
have you at least tried White Shepherd like I posted?
I haven't..I'm a little hesitant about it because I've heard
those additives wear your engine more. but if you still recommend it I guess I might as well.
and no craby I haven't been able to check, don't really have much time to Jack it up and all that so I'm kinda just trusting what the guys at Goodyear said. nevertheless I'll still probably go get a second opinion pretty soon as well

Old 10-17-2010, 08:29 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ricer_killaZ28
I haven't..I'm a little hesitant about it because I've heard
those additives wear your engine more. but if you still recommend it I guess I might as well.
and no craby I haven't been able to check, don't really have much time to Jack it up and all that so I'm kinda just trusting what the guys at Goodyear said. nevertheless I'll still probably go get a second opinion pretty soon as well
Do not confuse it with the liquid sludge like "motor medic"

What White Shepherd does is it softens the seals a little so when warm, the seal, once softened and warm will fill in the gaps and seal the little leak. If you have a gusher, it won't work. I tried it on a 4 banger before ripping out the engine and it didn't work because the seal was too far gone. I had 2 friends try it on their kids cars as there were just little drips and it sealed them. A year later and both cars are still dry. Basically, you have nothing to lose but the cost of white shepherd

Quick Reply: rear main oil seal...