LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

really REALLY bad MPG

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 07:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Default really REALLY bad MPG

i know that an LT1 is not a prius. but the last week my MPG has been REDUCLUS. I'm usually getting about 23 MPG.

last week i went to a friend house that lives 83 miles one way. i go there a lot. it takes me about a half tank to get their and back. Sunday on my way back i had to stop 20 miles away from home which i never had to do and i pumped 11 frekken gallons. that was not cheap.

today i went to pump gas(first time since Sunday on the way back) it have only put on maybe 60 mile on it. and i pumped 8 gallons.

i don't drive like a race car driver, i don't drive that fast 80 if that.
so, what would make me get really bad MPG?

Old 09-25-2007, 08:19 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: really REALLY bac MPG

Not much useful information on your post, but the usual culprits: bad O2 sensors, clogged air filter, misfire, bad fuel pressure regulator, fuel leak, slipping clutch or transmission, transmission not going into OD, bad TCC, etc..

Old 09-25-2007, 08:39 PM
Dominos Puck
New Formula! Now with 10% more Win!

23mpg isn't bad.

I do city driving on my commute everyday, and I'm getting 18.5. I think that low to mid 20s is normal for the kind of driving you're doing.

Edit:
Also, look at some of the mileages other cars get. My mom drives a 3.8L buick lesabre - she get's slightly better mileage than I do (about 19-19.5, same commute). Even 4 bangers don't always get teh marvelous gas mileage you think they would. It might be a little higher than what you're getting, but they're usually less than half the displacement and less than half the power.

Suck it up youngster. Learn how to plan your driving. Instead of going home then go back out to town to buy a screwdriver, get the screwdriver on your way home. And ditch the friend that lives 83 miles away. Or tell him to join camaroforums and talk to him that way.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:20 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Puck90a

23mpg isn't bad.

I do city driving on my commute everyday, and I'm getting 18.5. I think that low to mid 20s is normal for the kind of driving you're doing.

Edit:
Also, look at some of the mileages other cars get. My mom drives a 3.8L buick lesabre - she get's slightly better mileage than I do (about 19-19.5, same commute). Even 4 bangers don't always get teh marvelous gas mileage you think they would. It might be a little higher than what you're getting, but they're usually less than half the displacement and less than half the power.

Suck it up youngster. Learn how to plan your driving. Instead of going home then go back out to town to buy a screwdriver, get the screwdriver on your way home. And ditch the friend that lives 83 miles away. Or tell him to join camaroforums and talk to him that way.
you missed my point a little. i was wonder why my MPG went from 23 to like 15.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:39 PM
Dominos Puck
New Formula! Now with 10% more Win!

Oh, sorry. You didn't mention 15mpg. Maybe I could have done some math with the info you gave, but it just sounded like you were doin some miles and you mentioed 23mpg.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:50 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Puck90a

Oh, sorry. You didn't mention 15mpg. Maybe I could have done some math with the info you gave, but it just sounded like you were doin some miles and you mentioed 23mpg.
not its cool my fault didnt include a lot for info.