LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Pulling heads 96Z28

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 11:45 PM
Default Pulling heads 96Z28

Working with a 96Z with a blown head gasket. Going to undertake the task of pulling the heads and have them sent to the machine shop. Never gone this in depth on one of these engines, any tips to help me avoid becoming disgusted with this car halfway through the job?

Old 12-06-2011, 12:57 AM
I Like to Party

Originally Posted by shrews61
Working with a 96Z with a blown head gasket. Going to undertake the task of pulling the heads and have them sent to the machine shop. Never gone this in depth on one of these engines, any tips to help me avoid becoming disgusted with this car halfway through the job?
What would cause you to become disgusted with the car?

Old 12-06-2011, 04:38 AM
2nd Gear member

Buy tons of PB. Are there any mods on the car?

Old 12-06-2011, 06:54 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

hardest part is getting the exhaust manifolds bolts lose. like ^^^ sayin us lots of pb blaster.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:18 AM
2nd Gear member

Stay patient I havent done heads on an lt1 but i have done a hondurs and a rustangs. Take your time. One thing I like to do just to be safe is get masking tape and a marker and label and organize , parts, electrical connections, and vacuum hoses. Remember if you reuse the head bolts they are supposed to go back in the same spot they came off of. But I recommend using new ones. Maybe even take a couple of pics. And yes buy a few cans of pb and soak the exhaust bolts a few times a day before you take the job on. I did that and they all came out easily on both cars Ive done head gaskets on.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:34 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

dont re use the head bolts, they stretch when torqued

Old 12-06-2011, 09:18 AM
I Like to Party

Yes, under these older engines, PB or liquid blaster is a must, let the bolts soak in the displacement liquids so that you dont strip the heads of your bolts and cause yourself to go into rage mode. I also recommend a beer..it always helps.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:54 PM

Yes mods are...
Moroso intake
1 3/4 longtube headers
Corsa catback system
Swaybars
Subframe connecters
6spd staged clutch
I am almost ready to pull the intake manifold at this stage, just working in segments right now. Truthtfully regarding the mods I know solely what has externally been done to the car, but internals on the engine are a search in progress. I bought the car in this condition and the owner was not who had added the mods to it. I went into this with 4cans of pb at the ready since ive used it before, but yes you all are correct its amazing.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:57 PM

Finished pulling the heads tonight.....
Both head gaskets blown
Both headers gaskets blown
Moderate rust where water had gotten in on top of psitons
Sending heads to machine shop with fingers crossed and attempting to hone out the cylinder walls with hopes that the rings are still good.

If the heads are to far gone im looking as a set from trickflow right now for around $1400. Just looking for something thats a little bit better then the stock heads nothing radical. Any ideas that land within the 1400-1500 price range? Thanks

Old 12-22-2011, 02:31 PM

I just started mine yesterday for the first time after doing the same thing. Biggest thing I would change, take a tons of pictures where all the vacuum lines go. Also, become obsessed with making labels for everything. I took a table in my garage and covered it in wax paper, then as I took parts off, i would put them on the wax paper, then with a Sharpie, label what it was. Comes in handy keeping the valve train in order. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Pulling heads 96Z28