LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Power steering pump/ignition help

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Default Power steering pump/ignition help

Hey guys, im a new user whos desperately looking for some help/advice with my camaro.

Its a 1995 Z28 full package
Tranny:Auto
Engine: LT1 5.7L V8
All stock.
Milage: 297K

Engine was rebuilt about 60k ago.
Shes been a project for about 1 year now. Bought it off some **** who left it sitting for 3 years. I replaced/tuned up as much as i could to get her running again. Those include(not including standard tune up stuff, I.E. sparkplugs,filters ect)

New starter
New coil
New ICM
Tuned up tranny, flushed all fluids. Got all shrapnel out of both pans.
New Serpentine belt and battery.
New speed sensor to stop the tranny leak.
Put some chemical **** to stop the water pump leak.

Power Steering Problem

After i started driving her about a month ago, it wasnt long before i discovered this problem. The pwrst fluid was leaking at a decent rate. So i did the cheap thing first and put some leak stop fluid in.
Every time on startup and when I would turn the wheel without gassing it, the car let out a HORRIBLE squeal and the sound woulnt go away until i accelerated. I have my guesses at what it could be, what do yall think?
--I think either my pump is just done, needs replacement/idler pully
--O Rings around the wires. one could be cut or missing?

Ignition Problem

3 weeks ago, i was driving to work, and not 2 miles from my house, i heard a loud clunk and the car jerked and engine died. Now some background information i want to throw out there is that the tranny/engine mounts are trashed. So whenever i punch it, the tranny dumps into the driveshaft. ****ty noise too. That only happens when punching from 0-very low speeds.
I punched it before i turned into the street where she died(she died while i was in the turn) So continuing, i got her home and checked the fuses, good. I dont have an obd1 reader with obd2 adapter(bull**** 95 thing) so i cant plug her in to find out exactly what it is. So next i decided it HAD to be the coil and ignition control unit. $130 later, still no start. Now the Engine computer does turn on. Im just not getting a spark. So perhaps the module behind the optispark? I dont know how the distributor can just die while driving one day so idk if its that. All plugs are in securely. What could it be!?

Old 12-15-2009, 08:07 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

first replace the trany mount. there only like 15 bucks and are easy to change. second the opti could be toast.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:33 AM
Tech Droid

The power steering pump probably doesn't like the stuff you put in it and may be dying, or the belt is slipping and may need to be replaced along with the tensioner and idler pulley.

Are you getting a spark at the plugs??

With the money you spent on parts you did not need, you could have bought a cheap OBDI scanner and got an idea of what is going on.

Last edited by z28pete; 12-15-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:43 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jencinas
Hey guys, im a new user whos desperately looking for some help/advice with my camaro.

#1 Milage: 297K

# 2 Engine was rebuilt about 60k ago.

# 3 Bought it off some ****

# 4 Tuned up tranny,

#5 flushed all fluids.

#6 Got all shrapnel out of both pans.

#7 Put some chemical **** to stop the water pump leak.

# 8 The pwrst fluid was leaking at a decent rate. So i did the cheap thing first and put some leak stop fluid in.

# 9 3 weeks ago, i was driving to work, and not 2 miles from my house, i heard a loud clunk and the car jerked and engine died.

# 10 the tranny/engine mounts are trashed.

# 11 I dont have an obd1 reader with obd2 adapter(bull**** 95 thing)
# 1- lotta miles

# 2 - did you see paperwork confirming that?

# 3- wow, someone has issues here

# 4 - please tell me how you tune up a tranny????

# 5 when you flushed the coolant, did you remove hoses and ensure the optispark was covered?

# 6 - hmm, are you saying that you dropped the oil pan? So you had the engine raised and yet item # 10 is still valid????? I'm confused

# 7 - I assume by now you understand that you should replace the waterpump

# 8 - hit the local boneyard and find a used p/s pump if you can't afford a reman'd one

# 9 - would you care to elaborate because this is your current hot topic, getting the engine to start. What was the behavior just before it occured?

# 10- good way to cause more expensive damage. $40 in parts and a few hours on your back doesn't seem like a lot to me

# 11 - you need to find a shop that has one. You've tossed good money to bad. There is no harm in getting codes scanned. It in no way shape or form diminishes your mechanical prowess.

Oh, and back to item # 3- it may be karma coming back to you

Old 12-15-2009, 09:25 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
# 1- lotta miles

# 2 - did you see paperwork confirming that?

# 3- wow, someone has issues here

# 4 - please tell me how you tune up a tranny????

# 5 when you flushed the coolant, did you remove hoses and ensure the optispark was covered?

# 6 - hmm, are you saying that you dropped the oil pan? So you had the engine raised and yet item # 10 is still valid????? I'm confused

# 7 - I assume by now you understand that you should replace the waterpump

# 8 - hit the local boneyard and find a used p/s pump if you can't afford a reman'd one

# 9 - would you care to elaborate because this is your current hot topic, getting the engine to start. What was the behavior just before it occured?

# 10- good way to cause more expensive damage. $40 in parts and a few hours on your back doesn't seem like a lot to me

# 11 - you need to find a shop that has one. You've tossed good money to bad. There is no harm in getting codes scanned. It in no way shape or form diminishes your mechanical prowess.

Oh, and back to item # 3- it may be karma coming back to you

hahaha! for starters, i noticed that the mounts were trashed but by then i was BROKE. btw im only 19 and work at in n out burger. so my checks are about 600 every 2 weeks. And i bought some sort of transmission tune up kit so thats what that is.

#2 I did in fact see the paperwork confirming it.

#3 I call her that because after buying the car from her, I go to dmv to get the pink in my name and she ALREADY had put it up for collateral on another car?

#4 Has been discussed

#5 Yes i covered it.

#6 Has been discussed.

#7 Yes i know the waterpump needs replacing.

#8 I already bought a rmfd one

#9 Well before it shut down, i didnt notice anything different .at all. It just happened. The engine was cold, it drove for approx 2 miles from my house

#10 I agree. But without ALL the proper tools and help and considering my inexperience, id RATHER not do it myself. I just wanna find out how/what it could be so i dont get RAPED by shop for **** i dont need.

#11 I agree, but thanks!

Old 12-16-2009, 01:00 AM
In the Staging Lanes

since you work at in and out im guesing you might live close to me heres my number 9098279929 i think i might be able to help you out what city do u live in?

Old 12-16-2009, 04:59 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

bad water pump leaking on the opti will cause the opti to go bad. so if u change the opti change the water pump. i suggest u pick up a factory service/shop manual for your yr and model, also called a dealer service/shop manual, they are the best to use.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:49 AM
4th Gear Member

Amazon is your friend

http://www.amazon.com/CHEVROLET-CAMA...0971185&sr=1-2

Haynes is better than nothing and a used book is fine as long as it has all the pages

And Craby is right. I had my NAPA waterpump go bad after just a few months. That's all well and good that they gave me a warranty replacement but I had to replace my brand new optispark because the leaky waterpump killed the opti.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:04 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ebay is nice to. lol. not a fan of haynes. dont like sortin threw all the yrs and they dont go into much detail on some things. heres a factory manual at good price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_2206wt_1167

Old 12-16-2009, 12:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes

haha if you live close to me i have 3 books for our cars BIG books lol i might be able to help you out

Quick Reply: Power steering pump/ignition help