LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

possible blown head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 10:18 PM
1st Gear Member

well i guess this didnt fix it. i did replace the cap but im still getting air in the system. i drove it around for about an hour and a half to 2 hours and it was fine. but i parked it for about 20 min went and started it and the temp just started climbing. and now iv bled it out multiple times and i can bearly get it down the driveway with out the temp just wanting to climb and having to bleed the air out. and i will also add that from a cold start it will crank fine. but after its been running a bit and i try to crank it, it dosnt want to for about 2-3 sec then will. its just slowly cranking. not sure if thats anything to do with my problem. so is there anything else i should be looking at? i was thinking maybe a line is stoped up or something and causeing it to build pressure beyond what i tested it at and leaks there?

Old 02-17-2013, 10:40 PM
2nd Gear member

Go get a combustion leak tester or napa calls it a block tester. It will let you know quickly and easily if you have combustion gasses getting into the cooling system.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:03 PM
1st Gear Member

well i picked up the tester on my way home today. and thanks for the help, i didnt know they made those but it only gave me bad news. the blue fluid i used in it turned yellow in about 10 sec. so i guess takeing the heads off is my new unwanted project. iv had a blown head gasket in my truck befor and it was alot worse then this. it was pooring white smoke. had coolant all in the oil and when it had water in the radiator, it was just about blowing it out. so could it still be just a gasket or a crack? btw i have no coolant in the oil.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:46 PM
1st Gear Member

well i threw the idea out at first but i guess i should consider it. what are yaour opinions about the gasket repair and block sealers that you poor in the coolant?

Old 02-19-2013, 07:48 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if you plan on replacing the engine in the near future then go for it. if not then stay away from coolant additives. when your tearing it down look for the falure point in the gaskets. if there is an obvious fail point then chances of hidden cracks are much lower.

Last edited by craby; 02-19-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:56 PM
1st Gear Member

well iv been wanting to get new heads/port the ones now. but just doing it right now isnt what i was wanting.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:55 PM
1st Gear Member

well in the next few days ill start tearing it apart. im gonna try to get up some funds to get the heads and intake ported. cause im not sure if i can stand puting the heads right back on ( if its only a gasket problem) when iv been wanting to port them and now i have a reason to take them off lol. im sure ill be running back here with more questions as my progress goes and bank account allows me lol.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:06 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

spray the exhaust bolts with pb blaster and let soak a couple days. the exhaust bolts are the hardest part.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:21 PM
1st Gear Member

as in the manifold bolts? cause the first time takeing them off, yes they were a pain. but i have header bolts in it now and they arnt that bad. and also, how hard is it to remove the heads without droping the motor?

Old 02-20-2013, 07:47 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

not bad, once the intake and stuff is outa the way theres some room to move. the steam pipe may be a sticky part. have not tried to get it off while in car. make sure you get the funny looking o seal/washer for the steam pipe, one for each side. not sure if head set comes with them.

Quick Reply: possible blown head gasket?