LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Overheating got my stumped

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Default Overheating got my stumped

Okay guys I just did a post yesterday and fixed the problem with all of your help. Thanks
But today I have a new problem. Start off I have a 96 Z28 with 70k miles. Today it started overheating on me and I was hearing what sounded like belt squealing...which coulda been from the coolant spilling out of my reservoir.
So I went to the local auto store and picked up a thermostat and coolant. I replaced the thermostat, pulled the reservoir and cleaned it out. I didn't know how to flush the radiator except poor water down it and let it drain. Then I filled the radiator back up with coolant and left the cap off to observe. The car started over heating, the fans came on, the coolant started bubbling but never started flowing. Any ideas???

Old 01-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Tech Droid

The squaling belt could be due to a seized water pump, or a bad belt, or a weak tensioner. All of which would cause the engine to overheat.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:32 PM

Yeah that's what I heard...I'm ordering a new belt and tensioner tomorrow. But the water pump is shaft driven so I'm not sure how to check if the water pump is seized. Besides the thermostat what would cause the Fluid in the radiator not to be circulating?

Old 01-12-2011, 10:10 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

did you bleed the air out of the sytem?

Old 01-12-2011, 10:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

honestly i had the same problem and i replaced the rad cap because it couldnt hold the 16 lbs pressure and was pushing back into the res. and overflowing i work at autozone it was ten bucks and stopped immediately i would say start there... let me know

Old 01-12-2011, 11:16 PM

Okay I might as well pick up a new radiator cap while I'm at it.

I'm not exactly sure how to bleed the system...any advice on that would be really helpful. All I did was fill up the radiator and start the car and let the air bubbles rise to the top. I'm pretty sure that's not the way...lol..I'm new at this help please.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:34 PM

Okay so I did research on bleeding the system...ima do that in the morning. But regardless of the air. The car temp is going on the red both fans are coming on but the coolant is not flowing out of the radiator.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:36 AM
In the Staging Lanes

well that i would have to lean twards the water pump which will suck just make sure you drain the rad. first optispark is always touchy and pricey and i hate to say this but while you have it off you might want to consider changing the timing chain as well unless it is gunna cost you too much... hope it helps

Old 01-13-2011, 12:39 AM
In the Staging Lanes

as far as bleeding the system there is a screw to the right of the alternator and lt1 motor always needs to be bled start it up and let it start to warm up and keep opening up to let air out till fluid comes out then close it and make sure the tank stays full it will guzzle fluid......hope i helped

Old 01-13-2011, 04:36 PM

Alright so today I went and bought a new timing chain and water pump. I got to work and everything was going smooth. Except I had to disconnect 2 spark plug wires to get to the bottom bolt of the water pump. When I did that coolant ran straight into the ports on the opti.
What are the chances of my opti still being alive??

Also I took the old water pump off and the shaft will spin, does this mean the pump is not messed up and I just did all this for nothing?

Quick Reply: Overheating got my stumped