Overheating/Cooling problem

Old 07-27-2009, 11:27 PM

Is there oil in your coolant?

Old 07-27-2009, 11:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IlovemyZ28
Is there oil in your coolant?
No

But I just took it into a shop, I checked for gas fumes coming from the radiator to see if it may be the head gasket but it wasnt so it could be waterpump or a clogged radiator. The shop will let me know tomrrow morning

Old 07-28-2009, 12:00 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Just for future reference, this helped out me out in regards to draining and refilling the coolant system; http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#radflush

Old 07-28-2009, 12:04 AM
1st Gear Member

I did notice one thing the little air box thing that goes from under the radiator to the intake was not connected to the intake. Would that make a difference in overheating or no?

Old 07-28-2009, 12:24 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

should not effect the temp.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh ok

Old 07-28-2009, 10:22 PM
1st Gear Member

I took into a shop and they told me the Radiator is plugged up but when I have the cap off engine running it seems to be taking water in ok... My uncle insist that its air bublles I doubt that, we drained and refilled it twice today and its still overheating, I think im just gonna replace the radiator with the one in my v6 camaro which is a Z28 radiator anyway and see how it works...

The thing that boggles my mind is that all my air sensor codes went off today including TPS and stuff Im not sure if its because it got too hot or what, but also it reached almost 280 and when I turned the Z off it wasnt bubbling or boiling which is weird

Old 07-29-2009, 01:08 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

are u bleeding the air out? if u dont it will boil over. the radiator is designed to have the water flow through the tubes evenly and move the heat to the fins. if some of the tubes get plugged it will not cool as well. if to many get plugged it fails. if u have a extra one around give it a try. also if u dont use a mixture of water and antifreeze the car will run hot also. 50/50 is recomended.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
are u bleeding the air out? if u dont it will boil over. the radiator is designed to have the water flow through the tubes evenly and move the heat to the fins. if some of the tubes get plugged it will not cool as well. if to many get plugged it fails. if u have a extra one around give it a try. also if u dont use a mixture of water and antifreeze the car will run hot also. 50/50 is recomended.
ok so what ill do is drain the radiator and then fill up with coolant right and the water thats in the engine can stay there right?

Old 07-29-2009, 09:41 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if u drain the radiator the engine coolant drains too. there are little screws u unscrew to let the air out of the motor and hoses, they are the bleeder screws, open them while u fill the radiator, thats bleeding the air out. after the radiator is full and u are seeing fluid coming out of the screws close the bleeders and start the motor. bleed again wiht motor running,close bleeders. drive the car about a mile down the road and back and refill and bleed again. if u park the car on a hill with the front of the car on the up side it helps to get the air out of the motor while bleeding the air out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overheating/Cooling problem