LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

optispark? i'm hoping not

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Default optispark? i'm hoping not

Hows it goin guys? lets begin

95 camaro z28

Let me start by saying that when i bought this car I noticed it early on but it never had caused problems til now. I was at the gas station the other day and when i came out and tryied starting it it started to crank slower and slowweerrr and then almost no crank. After putting alittle oil in it to make sure it wasnt seized i tried starting it again and it did start normally then it started puttering harder and harder and then died which was what i was talking about when i had first bought it. Obviously it never died on me and was only noticeable when i was stopped at red lights(just slight puttering). Tried the on off on off on off start trick and didnt work. does that rule out the fuel pump or should i just start saving for an optispark? any questions please ask

Old 08-30-2010, 03:15 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheKingofLeon
Hows it goin guys? lets begin

95 camaro z28

Let me start by saying that when i bought this car I noticed it early on but it never had caused problems til now. I was at the gas station the other day and when i came out and tryied starting it it started to crank slower and slowweerrr and then almost no crank. After putting alittle oil in it to make sure it wasnt seized i tried starting it again and it did start normally then it started puttering harder and harder and then died which was what i was talking about when i had first bought it. Obviously it never died on me and was only noticeable when i was stopped at red lights(just slight puttering). Tried the on off on off on off start trick and didnt work. does that rule out the fuel pump or should i just start saving for an optispark? any questions please ask

questions; just a few

why did you add oil to the engine, was it low? If so, how low?

how long were you cranking the starter before it began to crank slower? Was it 5 seconds? Was it multiple long bursts? How old is the battery?

Next is the sputtering, please elaborate. You have listed several symptoms here and probably unrelated. You more than likely have several issues.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:47 PM
Tech Droid

Ever think of using the dipstick to check oil level? Don't go by the low oil light or the pressure gage. Adding oil to a seized engine is not going to unseize it, the oil pump has to turn to pump the oil, and it won't turn on seized engine. As Torque said, you described multiple and most likely unrelated problems, and you need to address them one at a time.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Former Sponsor

I wouldn't start really worrying about your opti until you're getting resolution codes.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:25 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i hope when you say siezed you are decribing the battery running down or the starter getting to hot. so have you had it scanned for trouble codes? i have seen bad opti on here without code so its not a sure thing that no code means good opti. sounds more like a fuel problem to me but thats on limited info that you provided. what the oil pressure? when cold and operatiing temp, idle and at highway speed. any knocking or ticking noises?