LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Opti-spark question

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 02:52 PM
Default Opti-spark question

Just rebuilt my 93 LT1. I have great compression on all of the cylinders. The engine sounds like it is trying to fire at the wrong time. As i recall when i installed the opti-spark, there is really only one way that the shaft can go onto the cam gear as well as only one way the shaft can go into the optispark. I know i am getting spark on #1 cylinder, just not certain it is at the right time. I am getting a backfire thru the intake.

I have noticed other posts about the optispark being very prone to problems if it gets wet. I wish they would have thought of another place to install it other than under the water pump.

Should I bite the bullet and get another optispark, or is there a check that i can do to test the system?

Old 11-01-2007, 07:23 AM
Default RE: Opti-spark question

Hmmmm not too sure about the optispark system im not to familiar with it but a backfire out the intake sounds like it could be the timing. But as for the optispark system, delteq makes a coil pack ignition system to get rid of the optispark system.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:54 AM
Tech Droid

The opti only goes in properly one way, but can be forced in the wrong place. You may want to take a second look, also check the coil and ignition module.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:28 AM

Thank you for the responses. I did run into another issue, when i was installing the motor, i pinched a fuel injector harness and another plug which connect, to what looks like a vacuum switch that mounts to the rear bolt on the manifold on the drivers side. I replaced the fuel plug, but did not touch the other. After further inspection this morning, it looks like that unknown plug wires are smashed pretty good. I tried to order a new plug this morning, but i have no idea what to even call it. The switch that it connects to has a vacuum line that goes to the middle of the drivers side manifold, the other line goes towards the egr valve. What it the world is this switch called, and, can this be part of my ignition problem? The engine just acts like it is trying to fire at the wrong time. Compression is 155-165 on all cylinders. I can take the wire off the coil and ground the wire and get spark. I can also take #1 plug out and ground it and am getting spark there. I am just about at a loss.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:29 AM

I also wanted to add that it ran before i took it apart, just had a bad rod bearing.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:44 PM

Hopefully this helps someone else in the future. The switch that i was looking for is called an EGR solenoid switch.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:41 PM
Tech Droid

May be the MAP sensor. Can you send a picture?

Old 11-01-2007, 04:58 PM

Not certain that i can get close enough to it to get a picture with all of the clutter. What are your thoughts on my ignition problem? It seems like if my egr solenoid isnt opening or closing, it will give an incorrect fuel air mixture signal from the computer?

Old 11-02-2007, 10:32 AM

Hopefully this is helpful to someone in the future.

Although the opti spark has a splined gear that should not be able to be installed incorrectly, if your gear has some wear on it, due to forcing it in place, or just normal wear, it is possible to get the timing off. After further inspection last night, i took the opti spark out and also pulled the gear shaft. I was able to install the shaft on the opti spark just about anyway i wanted to, which is bad for timing. After inspecting the gear i noticed that the splined gears were worn a bit allowing it to be installed incorrectly.

My resolution was to install the shaft gear into the correct position on the opti spark first, and then install it on the cam gear. I am sure this information may be elementary for some, but it sure put me at a loss as you can tell from some of my previous posts.

Scenario: I rebuilt the engine and it ran before i pulled it out.
New crankshaft, cam bearings, pistons\rings, oil pump, lifters, timing gear\chain.

Symptoms:

Engiecranked over, but was acting like it was getting stuck, or building up too much pressure, and sometimes backfired out of the intake manifold.

I checked my compression and it was very consistant across the board.

Spark plugs were getting fouled out.

It acted to me like it was trying to fire on an incorrect stroke, out of time.

Long story short. Re-assembled last night, firedup immediately.

I hope the information will help someone in the future.