LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Opti?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 01:15 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

harness incudes the wiring to hte motor, not all the wires in the bay like the under hood fuse box or head lights. i just picked up a auto harness for mine (300 bucks) and yes it needs to be for a manual trans.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:54 PM
1st Gear Member

You asked a while ago about an easy way to check the MAF. If you take a wrench, and tap on it with the engine running nothing should happen. If it starts bogging the engine down its a good indication that its bad. Notice I sad "tap," and not "beat."

Old 07-25-2012, 03:31 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GreenMamba
You asked a while ago about an easy way to check the MAF. If you take a wrench, and tap on it with the engine running nothing should happen. If it starts bogging the engine down its a good indication that its bad. Notice I sad "tap," and not "beat."
when does a tap become a beat?

I asked my son to tap around a rotor to loosen it so we could replace it and I hear what sounds like a bird pecking. I then showed him how to tap around the rotor and he asked why didn't I say pound the rotor.........

Old 07-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
when does a tap become a beat?
I bet you'd know where to draw the line if it was on your head!

Old 07-25-2012, 04:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Somewhere between "low-tech diagnostic" and "gonna need to replace this now."

Old 07-25-2012, 07:41 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by GreenMamba
Tap with a ten pound hammer, right?

Before I do anything else I'm gonna change this harness. The previous owner thought it was a good idea to light a campfire under the hood so the wiring has been a mess since I bought it. Spliced connections, ect.
I'm looking at my exact harness right now, just getting the money together. (Broke college kid.)

I've been getting a temp sensor circuit high code, and I replaced the sensor. I figure the wiring is the next step.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:23 PM
2nd Gear member

While you're messing with it, the wiring, might as well get that manifold leak fixed. Sensors and vacuum troubles can have you chasing gremlins for quite some time. Trust me.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:26 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by JGuy07
While you're messing with it, the wiring, might as well get that manifold leak fixed. Sensors and vacuum troubles can have you chasing gremlins for quite some time. Trust me.
Will do. I'm pretty ocd about having everything straight under the hood.
Is a Felpro gasket set good?

Old 07-26-2012, 02:28 PM
2nd Gear member

That's what I used due to the fact I didn't have the cash for everything at the time. They have held up no problems. Of course a good bead of RTV on the rear and front helps since those are typically your problem areas.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:06 AM
4th Gear Member

just an observation

I've been frequenting the local boneyard lately and have noticed more LT1 4th gens and under the hood is still mostly complete. You may want to check your local yard for parts.

A couple years ago the LT1 4th gens were always picked clean

Quick Reply: Opti?