LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

opti

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 10:15 AM
1st Gear Member
Default opti

my 93 z is cutting out in the rain. any speed at any time just dies. it does it at random and used to just turn off the motor then come back on all within a second. now it cuts out and stays off but starts agin no prob. alt good and batt good. rebuilt the motor a couple months ago but didnt change the opti cause well i guess i was too cheap. anyways does that sound like an opti prob? and where online is the best one to get. i see summit and jegs have em for 350 or so and ebay thier everywhere too and alot cheaper but a i'm little hesitant on them, everyone sayin thiers is better than the other guy. somewheres on here i read to stay away from msd. gonna repace the coil as well so if anyone knows of a good place to get one of them that u have tested would be great. also read that an msd coil may burn out the opti. any truth to that?
thx in advance.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:40 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sounds like it could be the opti. could also be a few other things. mostly wireing related. first off check the wireing harness that connects to the opit. this could also be the ignition modual or the coil or the vats system or a bad fuse or connection at the fuses for the injectors, anyways have u had it scanned for trouble codes?

Old 10-27-2009, 10:41 AM
In the Staging Lanes

If that is indeed your problem...go with GM parts. Check out 'thepartsladi' seller on ebay. They sell genuine GM opti's for $250. You really shouldn't go cheap on these. Consider getting a new waterpump too depending on how old the one on there is.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:53 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I put the MSD one on my 94Z. It seemed to me that it was only one that was fully sealed. I've had it on for about 8 months and 3k miles. Car runs great.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:28 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I also put on an MSD opti, but that was only a little over a month ago. We'll see how it stands the test of time. But looking at it, it is much better built than the factory one. I don't know what problems other people are having with them? The MSD also is a vented unit. If you use an original style replacement, it would be a real good idea to add a vented kit to it.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:26 PM
1st Gear Member

yea crab shes spit a code as she shut down but i got other problems with my winter beater which is gonna take priority the next few nights. ill keep yas posted tho. ya think i could put the hose on mist and put a lil water to the dist to see what happens?
exact words cam69er was msd dist are garbage from someone on this site, didnt go into detail tho.
250? not bad ill check it out when i figure it out.thx.
still wondering about them msd coil.....gm or msd?

Old 10-28-2009, 04:10 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i have both and seem to be good opti's i dont know about the ones for 250.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:59 PM
In the Staging Lanes

exact words cam69er was msd dist are garbage from someone on this site, didnt go into detail tho.

That was probably me you saw on here ******* the MSD's. I bought that $550 Pro Billet one with the adjustable timing option on it and it's supposed to be the best one MSD makes........junk. I've had spectacular luck with MSD products and normally swear by them, but not THAT thing. I bought it, put it on, it didn't even ATTEMPT to work. It wouldn't even fire the coil. Sent it back to MSD, they "fixed" it, sent it back to me, I put it BACK on, it worked for a week, same thing. Sent it back, they "fixed" it again, I put it BACK on, worked for 3 weeks, same thing, boom, done. I NOW have a GM opti on it with the Bob Bailey LTCC LS-1 coil conversion kit on it, BEAUTIFUL!!! Perfect! You can leave the hood open during a hurricane and it never misses a beat. The MSD looks like a great unit but it just didn't do the trick for me. I have 3 of these cars, trust me. I have the 95 that I struggled with the MSD on and now have the LTCC conversion on which I drive in the street all the time with a 383 in it, a 97 that's, well, not so streetable and an LS-1 car. If you want the best advice, dump the stupid LT-1 car and dig up some extra cash and get you an LS-1 car. Lol, I'm kidding, stick with what you like. If you go with a factory unit, take Camaro 69's advice, vent that bad boy, it's the best way to make it last as long as you can. The MSD is a vented unit but make sure you get the right one if you go that route because there are 2 and technically 3 different style opti's. The difference that you need to worry about is the drive shaft that goes in the cam. 93 and 94's had a splined style shaft, whereas 95 and up had a grooved, pinned style shaft. You MUST have the splined one on your car. If you have any problems or questions, just jump on here and holler at me, the email notification goes straight to my phone. I'm LORD of changing the opti's, lol, so don't hesitate to ask. Good luck, buddy.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:59 PM
1st Gear Member

man them msd's are expensive. could probably do the ltcc for that much if i was into them.
gm vented splined is the way im going if thats my prob. baked the tires off last night, didnt die or ses light. no rain. ill read the code this weekend before i buy.thx.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:16 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I got lucky and found a smokin deal on my brand new opti on ebay...$285 shipped. It was a "why the hell not" kind of decision.
Otherwise, I wouldn't have coughed up $500 for one either.

Quick Reply: opti