LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

opti

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 10:29 PM
1st Gear Member
Default opti

so i think my opti is going cuz my car is not running very good any more and it is breaking up thru the revs and it started out just breaking up at 80 or so that my thought but any insight will be helpful

Old 06-26-2009, 10:39 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Getting any error codes, and what ones?

Old 06-26-2009, 10:44 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

have u had it scanned for trouble codes? could just need new plugs. whens the last time they were changed. also plug wires? if its been a while next time u drive at night stop in a dark place try to find a really dark place like in a garage. while car is running open the hood and look over the area of the plugs and wires. u will be able to see any bad wires lighting up.

Last edited by craby; 06-27-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:42 AM
In the Staging Lanes

A bad opti usually comes with coolant leaks as well. Check underneath the car while its running, let it get hot so the thermostat opens. there is an A.I.R line that runs right underneath the balancer, directly above it are the water pump and distributer. If you see coolant dripping down that line or in the general area around it, your opti is being fried by a leaky water pump. Problem too common....When my opti went bad i noticed a very slow coolant drip coming down the A.I.R line. Eventually my car wouldn't start...

If you find no leaks and your plug wires check out, your problem is most likely fuel. If air is the issue, the MAF sensor and/or wires could be going bad.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:13 PM
1st Gear Member

ok just everyone knows im not a newbie to the lt1 community im not getting any codes plugs wire ign coil and module are all brand new the problem just started and im just fishing for ideas because im really not looking forward to buying new opti so if somthing else is causeing the problem then good if not then sucks to be me

Old 06-28-2009, 09:23 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Engine needs 3 variables to run properly: FUEL, AIR, and SPARK

Ok, if you want to know your problem for sure, or at least be 95 percent, have your fuel system checked (i.e pressure guage to fuel pump, replace fuel filter, ect.) If your fuel system checks out, your problem is not fuel. Check the pressure with the engine running and once shut off after it's heated up. The pressure should remain at spec even when the engine is shut down.

While the engine is idling, tug on the wires going into the MAF (pending your car is a 94 or newer). A bad MAF sensor may not always necessarily throw a code, but when it does throw a code your engine will not run well, perhaps not even at all. If your MAF seems to have no effect, you can rule that out as well. Many bad sensors will throw codes but not cause the engine to shut down; a bad MAF will, however. Change your pcv valve and any other vaccum lines (even if that's not problem, it's inexpensive and will benefit you when the car is fixed).

The next is to check for your spark. You say that the coil/module assembly are new. Just to be safe, throw an ohm meter on it with the key turned to ON and see if it specs out. Pull one plug wire and see if your spark is strong (a weak spark will show on a dying optispark.) But check for coolant leaks around the water pump. The optispark doesn't like any kind of moisture, and even if the leak is slow and weak, if it gets inside that dist. it's going to fry.

Any more insight is helpful. If i'm forgetting something let me know.