LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

ok i got the optispark, what next?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 11:48 PM
2nd Gear member

shbox.com has a good pic of the alignment dowel to correct location in the cloverleaf if you have the newer style opti.paitence!!!lol

Old 03-31-2010, 04:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes

HOW YOU KNOW WHEN THE OPTI IS PROPERLY ALIGNED ON A '94:

If the notch on the shaft/dowel is lined up properly, the Opti will slide on such that the Opti ears will be flush against the timing cover. If the notch is not lined up, you will not be able to slide the Opti on all of the way, such that its ears are flush with the timing cover (unless you deliberately try to force it on). Camaro69 helped me with this when I was having trouble. I circled what I mean by Opti "ears" in the attached image.

HERE ARE SOME OPTIONS ON HOW TO MOUNT YOUR OPTI:

1) Use trial and error until it slides on. This is not the best way.

2) Turn the shaft on the new Opti until the notch is in the same spot as the notch on the shaft of the old Opti. Then, you will either be spot on or pretty close to the right spot. If you already turned the shaft on the old Opti, then this will not work and you will have to go to number 3 below first.

3) If you turned the notch on the old Opti, such that it is in the wrong position - you can remove the cap on the old opti and try to mount it while turning the rotor at the same time until it slides on. Then you will have the right spot for the notch on the old Opti and can use option number 2 above. This is the method I used because I moved the rotor on the old Opti while practicing my venting job before I tried venting my new Opti. This is because I wanted to have my venting skills down before modifiying the new Opti.

4) Remove the cap on the new opti and turn the rotor until it slides on. Then you will have to put the cover on while the Opti is mounted to the timing cover. Some of the guys on the forum used this method.

HOW TO REMOVE THE OPTI COVER:

If you want to remove the Opti cover on the OLD Opti, you can simply drill the screws out since you won't be reusing them. If you want to remove the cover on the NEW Opti, you can buy a tool that certain auto part stores carry. The Checker Auto Parts store I went to had the tool while the Advance Auto Parts that I went to did not. Be sure to bring the Opti with you so you can ensure you have the right tool. One note for the GM part 10457702 Opti from Delphi, the screws that hold the rotor on are a different size than the screws that hold the cover on. So if you are going to vent your Opti, you will need two different tools for the screws.

Attached Thumbnails ok i got the optispark, what next?-opti-ears.jpg  
Old 04-04-2010, 03:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ok so i bought the wrong opti!! my car is a 94, 100% positive even checked the vin. but the guy i got the car from told me it had an engine swap done to a different LT1, but he told me the new engine also came out of a 94, but appearently he was wrong. i new it was wrong when i got to the opti and it was vented, then i pulled the old opti off and it had the cloverleaf thing on there and the one i bought does not. and so i need to send the one i got back and get the newer style one. my problem now is that when i took the old opti off my friend decided to spin the dowel around and around so i have no idea how to put the new one in when i get it. so when i get the newer style opti and go to install it how am i going to allign it correctly????? thanks

Old 04-07-2010, 09:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes

or can the engine be a 94 and have the newer style vented opti with the cloverleaf???

Old 04-07-2010, 09:22 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

no it cant, not from the factory. its not hard to change the cam style, front cover and timing gears if your changing the cam anyways. i did the change when i changed the motor.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:12 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by White94Z28
or can the engine be a 94 and have the newer style vented opti with the cloverleaf???
Yes it can. The Camaro got the upgraded vented opti in 95, but the B body cars (Impala, Buick) got it in 94. But, those engines have cast iron heads, which is not to say the original aluminum heads weren't swapped to the replacement engine (if you still have aluminum heads).
The guy said your engine came out of a "94". Did he say a 94 what?

Old 04-08-2010, 01:35 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ahhhhh i cant get anything right. u got me on a technicality. i stand corrected. lol

Old 04-08-2010, 04:18 AM
In the Staging Lanes

also you dont have to mark it but ,ake sure no one tries to turn the motor over after the old ones out

Old 04-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by craby
ahhhhh i cant get anything right. u got me on a technicality. i stand corrected. lol
Then sit down, it's more relaxing anyway!

Old 04-08-2010, 09:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Yes it can. The Camaro got the upgraded vented opti in 95, but the B body cars (Impala, Buick) got it in 94. But, those engines have cast iron heads, which is not to say the original aluminum heads weren't swapped to the replacement engine (if you still have aluminum heads).
The guy said your engine came out of a "94". Did he say a 94 what?
it has iron heads and he said it came out of an Impala SS

also i went ahead and already ordered the newer style vented opti. will it work????

Quick Reply: ok i got the optispark, what next?