LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Oil pressure...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 12:32 AM
Default Oil pressure...

Hey guys, I have recently had a powerdyne supercharger installed on my 94 Z28, and since then been getting some wierd things with my oil pressure.

When the engine is cold, the oil pressure going up to about 20 PSI at an idle ( 1st mark above the redline )
When the engine gets warmed up, the oil pressure stays at about 20 PSI when driving normal but if I come to a idle, the pressure stays right above the redline (running at like 5-10 PSI)

I just recently noticed this and haven't drove the car since then. Im not sure if its a oil pressure sensor going bad or gone bad, or if its the oil pump itself.
So I went out and bought me a High Volume oil pump, but havent got around to putting it on yet. After Reading through some post, I came across a post from https://camaroforums.com/m_9399/tm.htm by "Z28pete" saying "After 3 oil pump changes, here is what I've learned. Do not use a High Volume pump with a stock oil pan or risk engine damage when the pump drains all the oil out of the pan and the oil pressure drops. "

My question is, is it a good idea to use a high volume oil pump on my supercharged z28, or should I return the high volume pump I bought and get a normal regular volume one. And if I should just keep the high volume pump, should I go ahead and buy a new oil pan and if so what kind

Also, can anyone think of a reason for my oil pressure to be so low, sitting right above the red line other than the oil pump or a oil pressure sensor.

Thanks for the help

Old 02-20-2006, 01:05 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Oil pressure...

well u really only have 2 legit choices, keep the new high volume oil pump and buy a new pan, or just by a normal one and keep your original pan. But also make sure you are putting the right oil into the car, since you put a supercharger on, that particular supercharger might require a different type of high performance oil. Try similar techniques.

Old 02-20-2006, 05:14 AM
In the Staging Lanes

If i remember correctly when i was searcing for a supercharger, "Powerdyne" units don't use any oil for lubrication.

Old 02-20-2006, 12:00 PM

Alright, I guess I will just keep the high volume oil pump that I bought and get a new oil pan. Should I get any special brand or type of oil pan, or just a stock replacement.

Thanks for the help

Old 02-20-2006, 12:01 PM

ORIGINAL: wishmaster

If i remember correctly when i was searcing for a supercharger, "Powerdyne" units don't use any oil for lubrication.
And no, Powerdyne supercharges do not require any oil for lub.

Old 02-20-2006, 01:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The original size oil pan you have is 4 quarts, which with you high volume pump will suck that thing dry when ur uping the RPM's, instead A 6 quart pan is reccommended for high volume oil pumps. You can get a high pressure pump instead. It will pump the same volume of oil as a stock pump but with a higher working pressure.
It's the pressure and not the volume that limits your RPM potential. You can safely go 1000 RPM per 10 PSI of oil pressure.
So if you have 70 PSI you can go 6000 RPM and have a 10 PSI saftety margin.

Old 02-20-2006, 01:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

that is why it is doing wierd things with your oil pressure, becuase when you reach a certain RPM rate, its sucking the oil dry in the small oil pan which is causing the pressure in the oil pan to go crazy. This is what I think is happening.

Old 02-20-2006, 05:46 PM

Thanks for all the help guys

ORIGINAL: 95 CamaroZ28

that is why it is doing wierd things with your oil pressure, becuase when you reach a certain RPM rate, its sucking the oil dry in the small oil pan which is causing the pressure in the oil pan to go crazy. This is what I think is happening.
I have not yet put in the high volume oil pump. I've been getting the wierd problems with my stock oil pump.

ORIGINAL: 95 CamaroZ28

You can safely go 1000 RPM per 10 PSI of oil pressure.
So if you have 70 PSI you can go 6000 RPM and have a 10 PSI saftety margin.
are you saying if installed the high volume oil pump with the new oil pan, I will also be able to safely go a little more past the redline before shifting ?

Old 02-20-2006, 06:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes

yea that's another point I'm trying to tell you, but wait besides the fact, are you sure you are putting the right oil into the engine because that can also be a problem that is causing this.

Old 02-20-2006, 09:47 PM
Tech Droid

If you are using a high volume pump, make sure to get a bigger oil pan. The pump will suck the pan dry before the oil has a chance to drain back. Just went through this routine about a month ago. Thaught the bearing went because the oil pressure was all over the place as he pump was running dry at high RPM.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure...