LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 04:30 AM
Default oil leak

I have a 95 camaro z28 and I took my car into chevy and they told me i have a rear main seal leak and ask them if that was it so I had another mechanic fix it but I brought it home and it was leaking still and he said that there was an intake manifold leak so I changed the gaskets and it is still leaking and it is just a small amount Me and my dad have no idea where this leak is coming from anyone have an ideas

Old 08-07-2006, 10:31 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: oil leak

not sure what engine you have but, the distributor gasket can cause oil leakage as well as the sending unit. sick

Old 08-07-2006, 01:16 PM
Tech Droid

The oil leak usually takes place between the rear of the intake manifold and the engine block. This leak is usually confused with a rear seal leak, which I suspect, is what happened to your car. There is no gasket, or there should be no gasket at this location. You need to remove the intake manifold. Remove all traces of oil and dirt from both mating surfaces and apply a bead of black rtv to both surfaces, allow them to skin up (15 minutes or so), and reassemble avoiding any side to side movement. You want to compress the RTV, not smear it around. You may, at this time, do the same thing at the front of the intake manifold, although this end is not prone to lealks.

Old 08-07-2006, 02:20 PM

I have already done the intake manifold gasket and there was no burn marks that would give me a reason why it would leak but i didnt check the rear distributor gasket by the way the engine is an lt1

Old 08-07-2006, 03:37 PM
Tech Droid

There is no gasket involved between the block and the rear of the intake manifold, if you do use a gasket at this location it will cause leaks. It is to be saled with RTV only. The gaskets should only be used between the heads and the manifold. Also, LT1 do not have a distributor gasket at the rear of the engine. They are different from a regular small block.

Old 08-07-2006, 06:13 PM
2nd Gear member

in my opinion, the permatex ultra copper RTV works the best, i first used the black RTV but soon again it started leaking. it has held up great since i used the ultra copper.

make sure the mating surfaces are CLEAN!!! use a fine grit sand paper to make sure.

Old 08-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Tech Droid

I think you have a good point about the RTV. I have been using the black stuff, per the FSM, and it seems to dry out and leak about two years later.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:35 PM

I used the peramax ultra copper on the back of the intake mnifold but i also change the inake manifold gaskets at the same time but i did find a biuld up of oil in my oil pan and dont know where it is coming from

Old 10-30-2006, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member

sorry if i bring it back i know its old but i have two oil leaks in my car 94'z yeah i know it has alot of problems lol. I have two oil leaks one is right from my oil filter i dont know if i tighten the filter too much and the" does it have a gasket for the oil filter" is it does i dont know if it broke and now it leaks. But when i did the first oil change, the old oil filter was leaking too. Now i have another oil leak i have a picture cuz i dont know were it comes from her it is. i also have a picture to the oil filter

Old 10-31-2006, 12:16 AM
Tech Droid

The first leak looks like oil pan to front cover leak,
Second leak can't identify
Oil filter leak: If the car has an oil cooler, which is installed between the oil filter and the engine, and is identified by two coolant hoses from the oil cooler to the radiator. The oil cooler is held in place by a large nut which sometimes loosens up and allows oil to leak between the cooler and the engine block. Remove the oil filter and tighten the nut, then put the filte back & see if the leak stopped.

Quick Reply: oil leak