LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

oil cooler installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 03:30 PM
1st Gear Member
Default oil cooler installation

putting the motor back together....93 camaro z28 with the oil cooler. my problem is where the oil filter screws onto the cooler then the cooler bolts to the adapter then the adapter to the block and i have a 3/4" c clip left over. any ideas where it goes?? seems to be a groove in the shaft that goes thru the cooler but the clip would end up inside the cooler. anyways thx in advance.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:12 PM
Tech Droid

Are you using the factory oil cooler or an after market unit?

Old 07-04-2009, 07:20 PM
1st Gear Member

factory and i still havnt figuared out what to do with the clip....do you think i could just get rid of it all together.the oil cooler i mean. put the filter on the adapter plug off the antifreeze lines or/and loop em together?

Old 07-05-2009, 12:24 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i cannot find a c clip for the oil cooler in the parts manual i have. are u sure the clip is from the cooler. do u remember taking it off?

Old 07-05-2009, 05:20 PM
1st Gear Member

thx for looking.... yeah pretty sure, i remember takin the cooler off last then going to the tool box for the cclip plyers and then put the parts/bolts in a labeled bag all clean. that was two weeks ago. maybe i had toooo many beers but the clip fits so nice on the shaft that runs thru the cooler. anyways i want to take it all off unless you think its not a good idea.

also....the motor is put back together on the engine stand minus the intake and valve covers. everthing super clean inside and out. now im cleaning the intake n covers but the car couldnt of had many oil changes cause its a frigging mess. bad. soked em in engine degresser washed em in paint thinner still a mess and dont want the dirt on my new bearings. any other ideas/products to clean, its takin forever.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Default battery drain

I have a 71 camaro w/ 350. The problem is it will drain the battery in a couple of day's of sitting. This is driving me nuts. Please help me out, thank's for your time.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:01 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i hit it with the 4k pressure sprayer i have. baked on oil is the pits. solvent, wire brush and elbow grease. either that or take it to a shop and have em boil it in the solvent tank overnight. these are what i have in my dealer service manual and dealer parts catalog.

Attached Thumbnails oil cooler installation-oil-cooler-.jpg   oil cooler installation-oil-cooler-2.jpg  
Old 07-06-2009, 08:08 PM
1st Gear Member

hmmm, a mystery c clip. that doesnt sound good.

never thought of getting them soaked. i did think of getting the covers sandblasted.whats this elbow greese u speak of? ha.

back to looping them lines together. do ya think that will be alright? pretty sure the cooler only came on 93- 95 cause my manual is a 96 and doesnt show a cooler. (thx for the pages ill put em in mine).

Old 07-06-2009, 09:02 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

they pretty much had to put the oil cooler on these motors so its not a good idea to go without. i took mine off when i replaced the oil pan gasket and cannot remember if it had a clip or not. tis the shi## gettin old. lol if theres a obvious place for it that must be were it goes.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:46 PM
1st Gear Member

why you figuare its not a good idea? u took urs off. hows that going? pretty sure the oil doesnt gonna get hot enough but then again its on there so ur prbably right. i still want it off though. less weight!= fast.lol.

any input from anyone?

Quick Reply: oil cooler installation