LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

OBDII Scan Results: Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 08:28 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

do what pete says. check the fuses in the black box to. when my pump went out the fuse kept blowing.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by z28pete
1) There is no air from the air pump going into the exhaust manifold. When air enter the exhaust system the O2 sensor sees more oxygen in the exhaust. The O2 sensor is good otherwise you would get a O2 sensor code. The probable cause tells you what to look for. Check the fuse and fusible link feeding the air pump relay, check the control wire from the PCM to the air pump relay, check wiring from relay to pump, check pump, check air passages, including check valves, from pump to exhaust manifold (clean them out if clogged or replace if damaged) Can't tell you where the stuff is located because you didn't say what car you are working with.
2) There are one to three fan relays depending on year, engine, and option.
Im working with a 96 z28 OBDII and ill check the fuses and wire... its weird that it didnt throw a knock sensor code since there is no voltage coming on the wire

Old 08-31-2009, 01:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
do what pete says. check the fuses in the black box to. when my pump went out the fuse kept blowing.
I will do that right now... weird thing is its making that same exhaust leak sound that was coming from my headers but I checked the gasket and its fine and tight... I wonder if the air pump will make the same sound

Old 08-31-2009, 04:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Would the air pump check valve make that same annoying sound that was coming from the header gasket when it was blown?

Old 08-31-2009, 09:38 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if its letting air from the exhaust go back into the air pump system i would think it would. take the air hose off the check valve and see if u have exhaust coming back out of the valve. if so i would say its bad.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:00 AM
1st Gear Member

I think my EGR is stuck open.. Can I just unplug it and put in a screw in the hose and itll run even better?

Old 09-03-2009, 07:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok so here are the symptoms:

Loss of power
Sluggish acceleration
Sounds like the header gasket leak noise

Could it be the EGR? maybe its dirty or stuck? or is it something else?

Old 09-03-2009, 11:45 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

try to locate the sourse of the sound. make a recording of it so we can hear it.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
try to locate the sourse of the sound. make a recording of it so we can hear it.
I located the sound its coming from the hose from the firewall to the I believe the intake manifold Its a thick like hose I believe the EGR

But in addition to that it rained hard today and I was driving the Z around and all of a sudden it starts bogging and being all sluggish losing a lot of power... I doubt water got in to the CAI i didnt go over deep puddles... The RPMs are jumping from 800-1000 at idle and oil pressure will go up and down at idle as well... im not sure what happened is that a sign of water getting to my optispark?

Old 09-04-2009, 02:31 PM
1st Gear Member
Default update!

Just got back from a shop and they told me it is misfiring and said they would have to take out the spark plugs and do a compression test to find out why its losing power... I wonder if the rain had anything to do with this because before it rained it was fine... Unless the EGR problem got worse...

Ok but in addition to the rough idle and the loss of power and bogging down when accelerating... The sound thats coming from the intake is a rough breathing sound like its trying to breathe right and its in sequence to the rpm jumping from 800-1000

Quick Reply: OBDII Scan Results: Need some help