LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Noob with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 09:35 PM
Default Noob with a few questions

Well I just bought a 1995 Z28 and I'm having a couple of issues. First off the previous owner said that the car was tuned with a hypertech device, and there is a hypertech sticker in the door jab. The SES cell light is on ABSinop, low oil, and the red one that looks like a box and a line over it. The previous owner said it was due to the hypertech. I attempted to hookup my code reader and it failed stating the vehicle isn't responding. Is it true that tuning the car causes this issue.

The second question is when I turn at slow sppeds there is a loud thud noise coming from the front wheel areas is this normal? The rearend also makes noises at times when in reverse.

Other then that the car pulls super hard and even chirps the tires at about 60 when shifting. I'm not to familiar with chevy's and this is my first camaro. Any help would be great. Thank you.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:58 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

the hypertech should NOT cause that stuff...i'd get it looked at soon. if i'm reading your description right, the box with a line over it should be a radiator meaning your low on coolant.

no your car should not make the banging noise when turning. sounds like a ball joint or tie rod is out. what kind of noise when its in reverse?

Old 05-13-2009, 10:02 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

take the hypertech out. had one in the 93 i have now and never had issues like what u have. didnt even know it was there till i was installing a pcmforless chip. pretty sure u just unplug it and plug the wire from the chip into were the chip was. not sure were the computer is on a 95, mine is on the passenger side firewall, wheelwell area in the engine compartment. anyways see if u can read it then. hopefully its hypertech or a bunch of little issues and not the computer. thud could be a ball joint. what kind of noise from the rear? im assuming u checked the oil. check your wiring to the sensors. make sure everything is hooked up. wammer knows more than i do on this. i see he responded while i was writing.

Last edited by craby; 05-13-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:08 PM
Overdrive Member

PCM is in the same place for all the 93-02. '95 is the year of the OBD-"1.5". OBD-II plug, but OBD-I system. You have to have a code reader made for such a setup.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:30 PM

I just flushed my coolant, and I just changed the oil so I know the levels are okay. The SES is intermittent and the abs light comes on from time to time. So if I'm reading this right the hypertech is a chip and can just be removed?

I used my grandfathers code reader which is pretty comprehensive you have to program it to the car sung the year and vin. So what do I nead to read the codes?

Old 05-13-2009, 10:54 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02StanGT
PCM is in the same place for all the 93-02. '95 is the year of the OBD-"1.5". OBD-II plug, but OBD-I system. You have to have a code reader made for such a setup.
'93 doesn't have a PCM,only an ECM and no MAF,is it in the same place?

Old 05-13-2009, 11:29 PM

I just checked my PCM which was on the passenger side under the hood and I didn't see anything that indicated it had anything from hypertech. Does that mean that the programming was installed into the PCM or was it chipped. I thought that prior to 97 you couldn't "Chip" these cars. I am so confused and just wish I could get the ses code read.

I just started my car again and now the lioght is off. IDK what to do. Thanks for all the quick replies!

Old 05-13-2009, 11:35 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Y2K
'93 doesn't have a PCM,only an ECM and no MAF,is it in the same place?
You sure about that?

Old 05-13-2009, 11:40 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

as far as i know its the same kind of deal as mine. to put it in u unplug the main harness and plug the chip board into the computer and the wireing harness into the chip board. mine i had to take the computer out and remove a couple covers to get to the inside were the chip goes. from what these guys are saying yours is similar. but not. i have a map instead of a maf. computer is in the cubby hole between the firewall and the wheel well on the pasenger side.

Last edited by craby; 05-13-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:07 AM

I took out my pcm but didn't remove any of the wiring...so maybe it does have the chip and I didn't see it. I only thought it might be programmed in beacause of this site. http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...ught-hypertech
I guess I should read the sticker in the door to see what hypertech product I have. Just wish I could read the SES codes!!!!! Thanks again for all the help

Quick Reply: Noob with a few questions