LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

No Gas . . . Now No Start. Finally Done!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 10:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default No Gas . . . Now No Start. Finally Done!

The SS ran out of gas. I put 3 gallons in it and now it won't start. AAA towed it home and what should I be doing/looking for?

TIA

Old 12-03-2006, 10:37 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: No Gas . . . Now No Start.

Starts with starting fluid. So the fuel pump isn't coming on. Anything to look for before I tear into this job?

Old 12-03-2006, 11:24 PM
Tech Droid

Good chance the fuel pump died or blew a fuse when the tank ran dry. Check the fuel pressure with a FI gage, if low you know the problem.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Dude, running a car out of gas is like the #1 way to kill a fuel pump. Turn the key to the on position and listen for a buzzing sound, if you can't here it take the gas cap off and try to listen for it there. It should buzz for like 3 seconds or so. If it isn't then it's probably not working. If you really want to make double sure before you drop the gas tank, take the fuel filter out and get somebody to watch the fuel line when you turn it over to see if it pumps any gas out(carefully). I'm not sure where the fuel filter is on these things, just bought my Z last Monday so not sure if it is easy to get to or not.

Old 12-05-2006, 06:11 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Any idea how long to do the fuel pump job? I just sold my Wrangler & Formula so this has to get done asap.

TIA

Old 12-05-2006, 12:54 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: r.serio

Any idea how long to do the fuel pump job? I just sold my Wrangler & Formula so this has to get done asap.

TIA

It doesn't take long, it's just a pain in the ***. You have to drop the tank, then there are 4 bolts holding the pump in. Shouldn't take more than 2 hours or so if it's your first time, and you have to drain some gas. You will however need to get the tool to take the fittings apart that connect the pump to the lines. You can usually rent them at autozone or some place like that. Pick up a Chilton's guide, it will make things a lot easier than having to run in the house, post on the forum, then wait for an answer.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:03 PM
1st Gear Member

There is also a jumper to test if the fuel pump is bad or not. You'll have to search around, I'm not positive on how to do it with the Camaros.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:06 PM
3rd Gear Member

How do you allow a car to run out of gas?

Old 12-05-2006, 05:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: shnormo

How do you allow a car to run out of gas?
You lend it to your girlfriend. She wasn't watching the gauges, jamming to tunes, t-tops off & probably speeding down the hwy. She is willing to pay the $800+ repair bill. She feels that bad. I can't let her do that.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Come on...Like that wasn't obvious. Car out of gas = Woman involved!

Quick Reply: No Gas . . . Now No Start. Finally Done!