LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

New owner with a problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 08:43 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

all you want to know is if the dark blue wire is grounding. with the key on you should be getting 2.5 volts through that wire. wire is in position a19 on the grey ecm connector. in the book its not advised to backprobe. that said i have checked the voltage in the wire with a ohm/volt meter using the point end to poke into the wire. i pulled the ecm/ecu out enough to get to em.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:00 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Name:  P3060001.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  80.7 KB

Old 03-11-2011, 10:14 PM

Update, I have spark on the primary side (coil) now much oil should the Optispark have in it? Well mine is full! What now?

Old 03-11-2011, 10:28 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Brotje
Update, I have spark on the primary side (coil) now much oil should the Optispark have in it? Well mine is full! What now?
NONE! At least that explains your "no spark" problem. Now you need to figure out how oil is getting in there. Since the opti is sealed at the back where it attaches to the engine, I'm gonna figure it's coming from one of the vent hoses. The MSD opti venting is a retro-fit for your year, so how were your hoses hooked up? I'm suspecting you might be sucking oil in due to engine blow-by. For starters, make sure the PCV valve is working, and not clogged (a good possibility).

Old 03-11-2011, 10:39 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

woh,,, a new opti for one, new seals for the front timing cover. theres a sticky on the water pump seal install. may also have the intake manifold leaking at the front. the rtv seal only lasts for so long.

Last edited by craby; 03-11-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:27 PM

The vent was hooked up right, with check valves. The front of the engine is a little oily. I'm taking it apart now I'll let you know what I find out.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:31 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if it was sucking oil into the opti through the vent it would have to come from the intake so check your intake at the tb for oil. also look in the intake tube to see if you have oil in there.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:37 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Brotje
The vent was hooked up right, with check valves. The front of the engine is a little oily. I'm taking it apart now I'll let you know what I find out.
OK, now you're talking contradictory confusion. Earlier you said "now much oil should the Optispark have in it? Well mine is full." Was oil IN it or ON it? I can't see how you could know it was FULL of oil as you say, if you are only just now starting to take it apart. Please clarify.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:46 AM

I took off the vent lines and blew into them to see if there was moisture present. I heard it gurgle so I hooked up the shop vac. Nothing came out so I put a little compressed air to it an oil shot everywhere. Once we stopped laughing at the mess I made we new we found the problem. I took the opti off and oil is coming out of the motor. Took the opti apart and the bottom half looks as if it was full of oil. I don't know if the MSD opti is different than stock but there is no seal in the back of the opti. I'm guessing I'll be taking the timing chain cover and oil pan off tomorrow. I cleaned the opti and am going to try to reuse it. It's less than a year old.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:02 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I wasn't suggesting there was a seal between the opti and engine, but that the opti itself is a sealed unit (sealed bearings). And, there isn't a direct "conduit" of oil coming from the block that can run inside the opti. If the seal on the timing chain cover were to fail, oil would splooge out between the seal and opti shaft, and coat everything externally from the back side. Now, if the rear opti bearing is shot, and if the bearing seal is leaking, and if the seal in the timing cover is leaking, then you could maybe get some oil in the opti from there. That's a lot of "if's" though. Personally, I would leave the timing chain cover alone for the time being, and take a real close look at the vent line up to where it connects to the intake manifold. Is there any oil in the hose at that point?

Quick Reply: New owner with a problem