LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

new Hub assembly

Old 10-26-2006, 08:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Default new Hub assembly

Guys i got my tires changed today i paid 600 for all four on my 94'z, and it came out that i need a hole bunch of stuff. I need a Tie Rod ENd?? now what is that anyhelp? i also need a hub assembly they quoted me about 256 each and i need both. also i need an alignment wich i was going to get done lol. Anyways i dont know much but if i can save on the labor which is around 300 bux do u guys advice me to do it myself??? if so can someone tell me some advice. thanks in advance. I would need to know how to change the hub assembly. thank in advance like i said

Old 10-26-2006, 08:48 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: new Hub assembly

Do you need 1 tie rod end? Pretty much it is a part of the steering that transfers the motion from the steering box or rack and pinion. It is like a ball and socket joint. When it wares out there is too much play. Outter tie rods are easy. Take the cotter pin out of the castle nut. (Looks like the castle (rook) piece like in chess) . Then loosen the nut. If it is really worn out use an adjustable wrench to hold the bottom of the shaft while you lossen the nut. Then on the section that goes towards the vehicle, back off the retaining nut. As you spin off the tie rod end, count how many turns it takes. It will at least give you a ball park straight wheel. YOU DEFINATELY need an alignment after this. The price for the hubs seems a little bit steep. $140 a piece at autozone and $259 at Murray's Auto Discount. Take your wheel off, take your brake caliper off, take your caliper mounting bracket off, and finally take the rotor off. Behind the spindle, there are 3 bolts holding it on. Take them out and then you'll need to rent a slide hammer with a hub adapter. Pop it off and then the new one slides in pretty easy. Torque them back down to about 100 ft/lbs and then put the rotor back on and then the caliper mounting bracket and then the caliper then the wheel. If you have any questions just e-mail me.

Old 10-26-2006, 10:37 PM
Tech Droid

The hubs should be around $150 each and you can replace them yourself. There are two types depending if you have ABS or not, meke sure you get the right ones. They outer tie rod ends can also be easily replaced using Norm's procedure. Before you spend money on alignment, make sure you finished changing stuff on the steering, otherwise you will have to do the alignment again.

Old 10-27-2006, 03:01 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shnormo

Do you need 1 tie rod end? Pretty much it is a part of the steering that transfers the motion from the steering box or rack and pinion. It is like a ball and socket joint. When it wares out there is too much play. Outter tie rods are easy. Take the cotter pin out of the castle nut. (Looks like the castle (rook) piece like in chess) . Then loosen the nut. If it is really worn out use an adjustable wrench to hold the bottom of the shaft while you lossen the nut. Then on the section that goes towards the vehicle, back off the retaining nut. As you spin off the tie rod end, count how many turns it takes. It will at least give you a ball park straight wheel. YOU DEFINATELY need an alignment after this. The price for the hubs seems a little bit steep. $140 a piece at autozone and $259 at Murray's Auto Discount. Take your wheel off, take your brake caliper off, take your caliper mounting bracket off, and finally take the rotor off. Behind the spindle, there are 3 bolts holding it on. Take them out and then you'll need to rent a slide hammer with a hub adapter. Pop it off and then the new one slides in pretty easy. Torque them back down to about 100 ft/lbs and then put the rotor back on and then the caliper mounting bracket and then the caliper then the wheel. If you have any questions just e-mail me.
thanks guys for answering my question. now ok i'll do it myself but i'm going to need some more help. When taking off the rotor, the brake pads have to come off right??? if so i'm consern on putting them back. I've change my brake pads from my 01 mustang they were pretty easy. Also what can happen if i dont change the hub assebly ASAP?? well thanks and if you guys can help a lil bit more on replacing the hub assembly and rod end thanks in advance again.

Old 10-27-2006, 12:34 PM
3rd Gear Member

Yes, the brake pads have to come off too. Pop off the cap to your master cylinder. Take a C clamp and compress the pistons back into the caliper. It's really not that difficult. Are the bearings making a grwoling or rumbling noise? If the car is pulling to 1 side, and it is making wierd noises, then the worse than can happen is the bearing falls apart and the rollers inside become projectiles. My buddy waited to change out his wheel bearing hub and the rollers flew out ruining his caliper, and rotor.

Old 10-27-2006, 07:23 PM
1st Gear Member

not there is no sound well there is, but it comes from one of the back tires, they also quoted me for brakes on the back and one rotor, i think is the one making the noise. Oh and yeah the car is pulling to 1 side its pulling to the left side. So i should get to ASAP??

Old 10-28-2006, 01:01 AM
3rd Gear Member

Definitely do it right away. I saw a Firebird sitting on the side of the road the other day with a broken hub, wheel was all laying over, just a pity. Don't let it happen to You !

Old 10-28-2006, 03:40 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks guys for the help i'll get to it right away and i'll stop going fast on the car lol thanks for the help and if i need more help i'll come back

Old 10-28-2006, 03:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Z28pete how do i know if i have ABS or not don't all the 1993 up have ABS or how do i find out if i have ABS?

Old 10-28-2006, 05:56 PM
Tech Droid

Look in the engine compartment, near the master cylinder you will see the ABS box with a bunch of brake lines attached to it. Also, the ABS lite always lites up when you first start the car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new Hub assembly