LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

need serious help...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 09:11 PM
4th Gear Member
Default need serious help...

ok let me set the scene... i was driving home from the movies with my buddy just cruising along when this jeep with monster tires pulls out in front of me and starts flinging mud all over my car. i went to go around him gave it some gas but didnt floor it and then i hear this grinding noise and the engine died and my check guages/engine light came on. i coasted into a gas station because there was one right there and i was going down hill. there was a little bit of white smoke from the tailpipes it appeared but it wasnt thick at all and stopped nearly as fast as it started. i tried starting it back up again and i just heard the starter trying to go but no engine movement... i just got this damn thing it drove fine during the test drive and it didnt leak or smoke when i bought it everything seemed fine aside from some electrical issues such as the low coolant light or whatever. its only got 70k on it. i had to have it towed to a shop but i just want to know what im getting into before i have them look at it and start spending money. because if its not a hard fix i could do it in the barracks parking lot with my friends help.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:18 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

well you know where i am going with this but it doesnt sound good. If the car had just died or just had a little smoke it would be one thing but there are a lot of bad things that you are talking about.

If the starter is trying to engage but can not turn the fly wheel it sounds like the engine may be locked.

The sound you heard could have been a rod bearing but most of the time when a bearing fails it will produce a knock not totaly lock up the engine.

The smoke is also could be bad. But you know this.

Keep us up to date i hope it is somthing little.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:19 PM
ROTM Winner's Club

On a side note you are part of the 101st?

Old 11-08-2009, 09:23 PM
4th Gear Member

yeah i hope its something little too... i read in my haynes manual a possible cause could be something to do with the timing chain which would require taking the whole dang front end off. and yep im in charlie company 1/502 infantry regiment 2nd bct 101st airborne.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:03 PM
ROTM Winner's Club

Maybe but i dont think it would cause the engine to lock up unless you did some real damage in side of there. Even with a bent rod normaly you can still turn the motor by hand.

How do you like it. I am over at bragg with the 18th Airborne HHB C-co

Old 11-08-2009, 11:17 PM
4th Gear Member

You think its really bad then? like overhaul? might have to get an AER loan..... anyway Fort Campbell sucks flat out. theres nothing to do on post or off post really for single soldiers under 21 nashville was expensive the one time i went and clarksville tn/oak grove ky (ft campbell is split by the state line) is full of nothing. theres a mall which is ok and two movie theaters but there are no GOOD clubs to go to and all there is to do is spend money.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:13 AM
Overdrive Member

I would try to get a big socket / ratchet and see if you can turn the motor by hand. Usually when a motor is locked up you're pretty deep into the mud...

Old 11-09-2009, 01:56 AM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Doesn't sound good that's for sure,main bearings maybe froze up?
White smoke has me thinking maybe it blew a head gasket,may have filled a couple cylinders with coolant and hydro locked the engine.
You said the low coolant light was on,might also be a sign of coolant leaking into cylinders,grinding noise might have been the water pump.
Like 95 said try to turn it by hand,maybe pull spark plugs and try it again if at first it won't turn.
Come to think of it,these LT motors have a cam driven water pump,if that seized it might be keeping the starter from turning the motor over.

Last edited by Y2K; 11-09-2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:40 AM
4th Gear Member

well it hasa check engine light... hopefully that has the answers im looking for.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:28 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

a code isn't going to tell you if the motor is frozen.

was it knocking when you test drove it? sounds to me like you lost a bearing and crippled a rod, along with filling the cylinders with coolant, causing catastrophic damages. welcome to my life, lol