LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

My huge moronic mistake! Need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 06:31 PM
2nd Gear member

If I don't happen to mess something up tmrw when I rethread, all should go well and within a day or two be all put back together. Next step, learn how to drive it again since it's been FOREVER!!!! gah, I miss my car! lol

Old 01-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Now, how are you going to pull the crank hub on again?

Old 01-10-2012, 06:42 PM
2nd Gear member

I'm going to be a complete hobo....rent that freakin' install tool from advance for $100. That is if they carry the adapter piece for my new threads. If not, the search for an all-thread and pieces for my own install tool will begin.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:22 PM
2nd Gear member

In the middle of re-threading the snout. I'm halfway there with 3/4" threaded so far and needed a break to vent. This stuff is killing my hands, I don't think they've taken this much abuse since I was 13 and found my love for boobies to be too much to handle! Hmmmmm good times, take care.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:14 PM
2nd Gear member

Is there a different style of tap I should switch to now that I have my threads going? It is very difficult now to move any further yet the tap isn't bottoming out. The tap I'm using has a tapered end as to help initiate and center at the beginning, but now that I don't need that help is there another style more suitable for running the threads to the bottom? The one I have will not reach to the end since the tapered tip will not cut.

*edit: NVM believe I found answer, bottoming out tap?

Last edited by JGuy07; 01-11-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:51 PM
2nd Gear member

Thought I'd update. I finally finished with this part of the ordeal. New hole, new threads, 1/2-20 bolt. Only problem I came across was no part store had an install kit that would work for me. Nothing would allow me to pull the hub on, if I had a one piece like an aftermarket then I would've been fine. So, I took the hub and tossed it in the oven at 350degrees for a bit over an hour. Then I rushed it out to the garage and was able to push it majority of the way on with just my hand, gloves of course. Then I took my rubber mallet and tapped it a few times to finish it off and DONE. Has anyone else used the whole oven/heating method?

Old 01-17-2012, 10:02 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yes, using the oven is a good trick to expand metal like that if needed. I've even used the oven to heat up cylinder heads, and put the new valve guides in the freezer. The guides slid right in like butter, and when all equalized, they were "pressed" in.
Dry ice on the crank snout could have been your next additional step if you needed to.
Glad to hear you finally got it done.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:50 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ati recomends you put there hub in boiling water before installing. works great.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:25 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JGuy07
Thought I'd update. I finally finished with this part of the ordeal. New hole, new threads, 1/2-20 bolt. Only problem I came across was no part store had an install kit that would work for me. Nothing would allow me to pull the hub on, if I had a one piece like an aftermarket then I would've been fine. So, I took the hub and tossed it in the oven at 350degrees for a bit over an hour. Then I rushed it out to the garage and was able to push it majority of the way on with just my hand, gloves of course. Then I took my rubber mallet and tapped it a few times to finish it off and DONE. Has anyone else used the whole oven/heating method?
did you season it or have to turn it while baking?

what??? jokes aren't allowed in here?

Old 01-18-2012, 10:41 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
did you season it or have to turn it while baking?
what??? jokes aren't allowed in here?
You'd prolly want to use a combination of spices and sauces used in baked Hubbard squash, and pickled pigs Snout.

Quick Reply: My huge moronic mistake! Need advice!