LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

My car is being defiant.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The solenoids push or pull, and move the lock mechanism differently depending on which it's doing. And they can also have an easier time moving the lock in one direction than the other. It is possible for a solenoid to be able to pull and not push, or vise-versa. If the locking mechanisms are stiff, the solenoid will try to work but will just be tweaking on the actuator rod. But with that one, you say you don't hear the solenoid clicking when trying to unlock, is that correct?
So that goes back to my main curiosity, whether both the passenger door and hatch quit unlocking at the same time? If they did, I wouldn't expect it to be both solenoids crapping out at the same time, too coincidental.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:18 PM

November 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Ride of the Month Director

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
The solenoids push or pull, and move the lock mechanism differently depending on which it's doing. And they can also have an easier time moving the lock in one direction than the other. It is possible for a solenoid to be able to pull and not push, or vise-versa. If the locking mechanisms are stiff, the solenoid will try to work but will just be tweaking on the actuator rod. But with that one, you say you don't hear the solenoid clicking when trying to unlock, is that correct?
So that goes back to my main curiosity, whether both the passenger door and hatch quit unlocking at the same time? If they did, I wouldn't expect it to be both solenoids crapping out at the same time, too coincidental.
It happened at the same time. It doesn't make a sound, it acts like its not getting the signal, BUT the dome light comes on. So i know its getting the signal. I just don't know where in the car its failing.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:37 PM
1st Gear Member

A volt meter connected to the wiring harness at the trunk or door solenoid would show if the solenoid is getting 12 volt to operate the solenoid. You need to have it connected then press your remote button. You would get only a momentatry pulse to the solenoid. That is all it takes.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:00 PM

November 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

all of it checks out as though it is working, the trunk is working today... it chooses every now and then to work... WHY?!?!? this is insane... every time i troubleshoot it, or show it to some one, it works. then it stops later. FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU...

Old 10-12-2011, 10:48 AM

November 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

OK this is retarded, it worked for a week, then all the sudden it stopped again. but now the trunk works.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:03 AM

November 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Breathe thread... breathe...

Ok, Back to this crap.

It is not the solenoids, tested them, they work, (hurts like hell if your not careful) Have not pulled the BCM but I don't even think I have one, Still looking, But now it will open maybe once a week. I have just gotten in the habit of my door then hit the unlock button. I'm guessing it is the receiver for the keyless entry, but I don't know where it is. I'm going to do some digging on Saturday. Any more suggestions?