LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

My '96 LT-1 Z28 is NO CLUNKER!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 04:27 PM
SGB

I'm an American, and I drive AMERICAN! I have a 30th Aniv. Z28, a 50th Aniv. Z06 'Vette, and a two year old F-150. I luv 'em all! I own them because I choose to, and I don't tell other people what to drive (it's thier choice), and I definately DO NOT want the government telling anyone what car they "should" drive! That's NOT freedom as I see it.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

alli have ever own is chevy and all i will ever own is chevy so and even with my build i still get almost 20 mpg on the highway so f'em if they dont like it

Old 07-30-2009, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by 95slvrZ28
What they fail to think about is how much energy is going to go into disposing of the cars that you turn in?
Thats a good point. My 95 Z28 may be horrible on gas but I would rather spend the extra 15+ bucks a week than ride around in an ugly as hell Ridgeline.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:02 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I talk/fight about this all the time. I work in a fiberglass factory making parts mainly for Ford a few for GM, Jag, ADA Solutions and another one that I forgot the name of. I always argue with people that if you buy a Honda or Toyota that thousands of people like me will be at risk of losing our jobs. The auto industry is a VERY large industry and many fail to see how important it is to our country and economy. There are many other companies/jobs that are effected by the auto industry. We have many compression and injection presses of which are American made and also some of our other equipment is also made here in the states, another industry affected. Also, there is millions of dollars of tooling for the parts we make, again, another industry effected.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:03 AM
2nd Gear member

Tell him, its not even a REAL truck. Its front wheel drive. I'll NEVER get rid of my camaro. I dont care if they would give me a brand new import for it. And that money they give you for the clunker, well, they just raise the price of the cars. so you dont get nothing.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:18 AM
Default The Big Picture...

Originally Posted by Scribs
I talk/fight about this all the time. I work in a fiberglass factory making parts mainly for Ford a few for GM, Jag, ADA Solutions and another one that I forgot the name of. I always argue with people that if you buy a Honda or Toyota that thousands of people like me will be at risk of losing our jobs. The auto industry is a VERY large industry and many fail to see how important it is to our country and economy. There are many other companies/jobs that are effected by the auto industry. We have many compression and injection presses of which are American made and also some of our other equipment is also made here in the states, another industry affected. Also, there is millions of dollars of tooling for the parts we make, again, another industry effected.
Yeah... People don't even think of the big picture here. My neighbor says
his Honda is assembled here in the U.S., well... that's all fine & good - but
the money goes overseas. Honda doesn't pay tariffs on anthing (parts &
such) On the other hand, if parts, cars, etc. go over to Japan the charge
anywhere from 15% - 27.2% on anything that enters the country.

People refuse to see that this is part of the reason we are in a
"Repression" here. Maybe US govt. could get out of trouble if we
impossed tariffs on anything that enters the country? Hello... UH-
Duh- uh ... We need to treat foriegn countries the same way they
treat us!

Sorry... I really didn't want to go political here. Tired of being call a
socially irresponsible person for driving an American Muscle Car!!

Old 07-30-2009, 12:48 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Pirate has the right idea. You should add some patriotic music at a high volume to that burnout. I would watch and we could hand out balloons and cotton candy for the kids.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:57 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If our gov't really wanted to help our economy, they should have made the "cash for clunkers" program applicable only for the scrapping of a foreign car towards the purchase of a new American car...regardless of gas mileage differences!

Old 07-30-2009, 02:35 PM
Default fORIEGN CLUNKERS...

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
If our gov't really wanted to help our economy, they should have made the "cash for clunkers" program applicable only for the scrapping of a foreign car towards the purchase of a new American car...regardless of gas mileage differences!

YEAH... I'M WITH YOU ON THAT!

Old 07-30-2009, 02:53 PM
SGB

MEGA DITTOS to Camaro 69!!! I cringe every time I see one of those old foreign clunkers that the owner is trying to squeeze the last possible miles out of even though it's running on two or three jugs, and burning a quart of oil a mile. We've all seen 'em! I say to those folks, trade that clunker in and buy Amarican and help save our economy by keeping the money and the jobs HERE!!!

Quick Reply: My '96 LT-1 Z28 is NO CLUNKER!