LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Marine recruits 96 Z

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 07:48 AM
Default Marine recruits 96 Z

My grandson before boot camp purchased a 96 Z with the LT1. It ran well, he parked it in my garage, shut it off and it will not start. He graduates from Parris Island on May 7th. When the key is turned, it just makes a clunkin sound, battery is 100%. We tried pop starting it and it would fire, but would not keep running. It has 3/4 of a tank of gas. Any help would be appreciated from this Marine Grandpa. It would be so cool to have it running when he comes home with us on leave. Thank you Camaro Forum. SEMPER-FI D.A. COOK I now realize i posted under Forum Issues and should have posted under 4th Generation issues, So sorry.

Last edited by Devil Dog62; 04-02-2010 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Wrong forum
Old 04-02-2010, 02:40 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

I moved it for you.
How long has it sat, could be foul fuel.
When was the last good tune up?

Old 04-02-2010, 03:07 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

take the battery cables off and clean the connectors and the battery terminals. wire brush the heck outa them. then turn to the power junction box on the passenger side wheelwell. its a plastic red box with a flip top. take those wires lose and wire brush them as well. if u have some electric spray cleaner u can give them a squirt just to finish off the cleaning. dialectric grease or battery post protectant/anticorosion stuff on all the conectors will help to stop any corrosion in the future. there should also be a ground junction by the power junction have a look at it and if it looks like it needs it clean it to. if u are still having problems check the wires and bolts on the starter. a lose starter can do some strange things and the main power wire to the starter can get cruddy if setting for a time. hope all is good with u and yours and my thanks for you and yours sacrifices made for us. where u at maybe one of us is close enough to come over and help.

Last edited by craby; 04-02-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Thumbs up Cpl thomas & craby

In response to your e-mails, i appreciate your input very much. The fuel should be o.k. as he filled it before he left for recruit training in Feb. As far as a tune up, he has only had it since Jan 2010, so i know it hasn't had one recently. It will be taken care of at once as i'm sure it needs one. Craby, i will see to it that every thing you suggested will be done at once. Thank you so much for recognizing our service to this wonderful Country we live in. It's our pleasure. We hail out of Corning, N.Y. the beautiful Finger Lakes Region, and Wine Country. Will let you gentlemen know the results of our findings, SEMPER-FI, D.A. COOK, USMC RETIRED.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:59 AM

not about the camaro, sorry haha. what battalion/company is he? i just went thru boot camp back in the fall.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:51 AM

Do the lights on the car come on, and does the door ding when it's open?

Old 04-19-2010, 08:58 AM
Thumbs up Semper-Fi SCHWYTER

Mark is in MIKE CO- PLT 3034, in his 10th week and will graduate on May 7th. May GOD bless you and keep you safe. CPL D.A. COOK 62-65

Old 04-19-2010, 03:58 PM
2nd Gear member

CPL Cook, any luck with your grandson's car? Kinda curious to learn what, if anything, you found was causing your troubles. Good luck and hopefully you will have it ready for his graduation.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:24 AM

thanks you, and at least he's in good hands, getting some real training in 3rd BN.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:36 AM
Default ???? MarKFnG.

No, there is no ding when the door is opened and the lights do not come on until you pull the switch. Or do you mean when the switch is turned on the lights should activate also? They don"t. Looking forward to your response. Thank you for your interest.

Quick Reply: Marine recruits 96 Z