LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

many questions. need some info.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 09:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default many questions. need some info.

dunno where to start but from the beginning I guess....

bought this car cheap, seemed like a good deal but I have to iron out some issues. all I know that was done is that the kid I bought it from said it has a lunati street cam. it does have some cheap ugly cold air intake and magnaflow's. btw its a 95z.

anyway there are some things wrong. it failed emmissions, not by alot, but failed basically for too much unburned gas. brought it to have plugs and wires changed, and the mech. said wires are good ones and basically brand new. same with the opti spark. plugs however he said were quite fouled from running too rich. also he said the gaps were slightly wider than recommended.

some other things:

1. theres no smog pump and he thinks there should be. I have no clue.

2. he said theres no crankshaft position sensor and it shouldn't even run. but it does.

3. he said that he found the low oil sensor plug (that light was on) and there was nowhere to plug it in. he put the wires together to turn off the light.

4. where is the egr line supposed to go to? it is cut and crimped. anyone have a pic so I can see where its supposed to go?

5. who knows if the computer has been re-mapped. can someone make a custom tune if you dont know what map is on the car, or what cam?

Old 10-17-2008, 10:38 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: many questions. need some info.

well how does it run ?

the erg goes from the back on the intake manifold around to the sides of the engine, does it have headers or still has the stock exhaust manifolds ?

if the spark plugs were fouled pretty bad and it wasnt getting enough spark that could be a reason of the unburnt gas

i dont see how it doesnt have a crankshaft position sensor, it would barelt run and really bad if it didnt have one

yes you can get the car re-tuned which was probably done if the previous owner deleted the egr unit and put an aftermarket cam in the car

do you have and trouble codes come up ?

Old 10-18-2008, 08:40 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

yeah i'm pulling that motor and starting over if it was me. those are things the previous owner should have told you. it'd be different to have these kind of problems on a stock car, but you don't even know the specs of the cam or if the computer was reprogrammed? i'm thinking if you got the cam out, you could get a part number off of it and look up the specs of it. that would at least get you started. good luck though man, sorry you got these issues

Old 10-18-2008, 09:48 AM
3rd Gear Member

oil PSI or low oil? i dont think it will run if it thinks it has low PSI, the low oil switch is in the side of the oil pan on the driver side

Old 10-18-2008, 10:51 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

get ahold of ion at www.madz28.com and let him know what you're dealing with. he may work something out with ya where you can send him your computer and he can figure out what has been tuned on it

Old 10-18-2008, 10:50 PM
Overdrive Member

you can actually take the cam out and have the grind and lobes measured if you cant find the part number.i agree with whammer, but that would be a last approach and depends on you situation.if you can find someone local who does programming they can tell what was programmed into the computer and what was not, but you would have to find out what exactly the car has in it and what has been done before you do any tuning

Old 10-19-2008, 09:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: Alih

well how does it run ?

the erg goes from the back on the intake manifold around to the sides of the engine, does it have headers or still has the stock exhaust manifolds ?

i dont see how it doesnt have a crankshaft position sensor, it would barelt run and really bad if it didnt have one

do you have and trouble codes come up ?
I think it actually runs good and its a bit faster than I expected (was never really impressed with firebirds/camaros) basically cause I'm comparing it to my wifes old 92 350 formula, which was a pig.

as far as the crank sensor, yeah, thats what I would think too. haven't looked for myself yet, its been too cold and I've had no time. but I doubt I can find something the mechanic couldn't.

no trouble codes, except the coolant light is on (sensor shot) and the abs light is on.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: importmd

oil PSI or low oil? i dont think it will run if it thinks it has low PSI, the low oil switch is in the side of the oil pan on the driver side
the oil psi is in the normal range (around 60-70 I think)

it is the "low oil" light that was on.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: Alih

looks like stock manifolds. the egr comes out of the driver side from the top of the manifolds and that line goes from there toward the front passenger side of the car and its cut right there (after the valve) and that line is crimped closed. I cant see anywhere it would go from there. I guess it must go towards the back of the motor but then why does it look like it would go toward the front?

Old 10-20-2008, 03:42 PM
Overdrive Member

That's not your EGR, the EGR comes off the passenger side exhaust manifold and runs to the back of the intake manifold. Take some pics of your engine bay for us...

Quick Reply: many questions. need some info.