LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

major lt1 problems please read kinda long

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 05:00 AM
Default major lt1 problems please read kinda long

ok heres the list of problems i have been having over the past 2 months and i cant solve it and noone on camaroz28.com wants to help it seems like. ive listed them in order that i posted them on camaroz28.com. please help if you can.

1/20/05
ok guys heres the problem.

i have a 94 z28 and ill will be crusing at 50-55 mph and the tach is at around 1700 rpm and ill give it a little gas to bump it up to 60 mph and the car stars shaking and stuttering. is my opti going bad? also my lights interrior and exterior will start flashing and my volt gauge will jump from around 14-15v to 18v and down to around 10v i think my alt is going bad but checked the voltage from the alt and it stays constant at 13.5 volts someone said my batt. is bad but if that was the case wouldnt it die fast if i have my radio on without the car running?

any help is appreciated. thanks

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------the problem stoped for a day -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1/22/05
Well guys the problem stoped for a day and i figured all was good. But thats what i get for thinking. Took the car to hilton head isl sc to used a friends scaner and no codes were in the ecu and to say the least the prob. is back. this time much worse . the car stutters under a load again but there are times i cant get over 50 mph. I thought it might be the fuel filter so i replaced it and it needed it the fuel that came out of the tank side of it looked like used oil. so i droopped the tank and cleaned it out and i thgought this would fix the prob. well after finishing up around 8 tonight its still "bogging" or "stuttering" under load. Im hoping its the cats when i check them tomorrow. the voltage is still fluxuating <sp>. we tested the alt and bat. and there both good i checked the voltage at the alt and bat. and there fine but if i check from a accessory like the cig lighter or a tail light its still juming from 16.3v to 10.1 volts. i checked it at a relay under the hood and its fluxauating just like on the inside. i checked all the grounds on the enging and body that were under the hood. is there susposed to be a ground going to the tranny? if there is i couldnt find it..

any ideas on what to check next if the getting rid of the cats doesnt work?
and anyidea what could be causing the voltage spike/drop?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------the problem stoped for a few days so i took it to the local track---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2/06/05
Well I went to the dragstrip tonight for the first time this year and my first run i redlighted but cut a 14.326 @ 96.43 mph and the second run the lights drop befor i am fully staged. 3rd run i do my burnout and stage and when i leave the line all is fine but i get a lil wheelhop and then the car bogs bad. so bad that the car wont go over 50 mph. i cut a 27.395@49.26mph. i was afraid to try it again so we packed up and left. any one have anyidea what this could be the car ran fine almost all the way home . it did this one more time maby 500 ft out of the dragstrip drive way. i got down on it to see if it would do it and it stayed below 50 again. but if i dont get down on it and ease into the throttle the car is fine. if i ease on it runs great and if im over 50 and i get down on it its fine but if im under 50 and get down on it then i cant get over 50. please help. my mods include descreened maf. and k&n airfilter and thats it. the car has new plugs , wires, fuel filter, and a new opti (replaced 2 months ago) im lost guys so any help will be appreciated

2/15/05
the other week i put a new opti in and replaced plugs and wires again. to say the least i

Old 03-25-2005, 01:53 PM
Administrator
Default RE: major lt1 problems please read kinda long

man..i am completely stumped....100%...to go from 14 sec 1/4 to not being able to climb over 50...i have no idea...at all...i feel kinda bad..but ive never heard of anything that comes and goes that much...i wish you the best of luck...hopefully someone here will help you out...

Old 03-30-2005, 12:03 PM

I'm having the same problems with my 94, I'm in the process of changing the entire ignition system including the modulator. How did you get the balancer off?

J.D.

Old 04-16-2005, 05:33 PM

Are you using a manual or automatic tranny? If your using automatic, your transmission might be gone.

Old 07-02-2005, 12:56 AM

It can't be the tranny cause mine went out like a year ago and the rpm shot up to red as each gear gave way. Although i would consider getting a tranny flush and service. And if you got a gm opti they'll parts warranty it and put it on for free. But only if you bought a gm opti. I know cause i replaced mine like 6 mo ago. It ran great for a mile then started acting up again. So i replaced it again. and since i'm a gm tech i got paid to put on my 2 opti. i know cool huh. It sounds like power or ground wires somewhere. have you checked the fusable links on the power block close to your battery. a needle and voltmeter works ok. then i'd do a pull test. pull on the wires and make sure there strong cause intermitant problem can be caused from one strand of wire makeing continuity but not supplying enough current. Hope some of this helps guy.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:13 PM

I have 93 lt1 camaro had the same problem ended up being a fault in the factory security system

Old 03-23-2008, 01:17 AM
Overdrive Member

Erm, this post is 3 years old...

Old 06-26-2008, 01:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes

DAMN I GOT ON HERE FOR THIS SAME PROBLEM! has anyone helped you out yet? do you know what it is?

[IMG]local://upfiles/13379/C31F4D18A7BC4643AAC599CA3FE88265.jpg[/IMG]