LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

LT4 intake on a stock LT1.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 07:58 PM
Default LT4 intake on a stock LT1.

A friend of mine said he would sell me his LT4 intake off of his corvette that's been cleaned and drilled out, they say it'll bolt right onto my car and im wondering if this true, and if i'll need any other kind of mod to go along with it being drilled out.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:05 PM
2nd Gear member

People do the lt4 conversion all the time. Typically along with a new cam, complete heads, and also the intake manifold.

I'll add this though, I've also looked into it and an lt4 intake isn't an upgrade or actual benefit. Read on multiple forums that it is essentially the same if not worse on performance. Only "upgrade" would be bigger ports and material above the ports to help seal on the heads. I've opted out of this option and will be going with just porting the stock manifold and doing my heads and other internals when I get around to doing this work.

Last edited by JGuy07; 10-04-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by JGuy07
People do the lt4 conversion all the time. Typically along with a new cam, complete heads, and also the intake manifold.
what im really curious to is would you recommend not putting it on until after I get all that, or could I run the intake with the stock lt1 and buy the rest as i go?

(im a 19 year old kid with very limited income. lol)

Old 10-04-2011, 08:12 PM
2nd Gear member

I edited my previous post. I'm only 23 fresh out of college still looking for a job after a whole summer of unpaid internship work...I know the feeling! ha

Old 10-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Heads and intake work best as a match set. Let say your current setup maxs out at 300 HP at 5500 RPMs. The LT4 can do 350 HP at 5800 RPMs. That is a lot more air. The larger cam, head and intake allow for that volume of air but it is at a cost. The cost with the larger ports is low end torque. Your LT1 will have more HP at 2000 RPM (the smaller ports cause the air to move faster, this wil fill the cylinder better at low RPMs) then the LT4.

When mismatch parts like a large intake with out all the other stuff you end up with the worst of both worlds. Your motor can not go 5800 RPM because the heads and Cam choke it out but you also lose the air speed caused by the smaller ports.

The concept of a better intake was common when factory intakes where crap. These LT1 intakes are pretty good. The best mods on your motor are when you find a bottle neck and open it up. Your intake is not a bottle neck. If you have not upgraded your exhaust manifold they are a bottle neck. If you find away to convert a LT1 to a LT4 for under $2000 let us know.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:52 PM

haha well thanks both of you guys. and Gorn i get what your saying now about getting the worse with mixed parts. it was just he offered the intake so i figured i'd ask on it. but doubt i could get it all done under 2000 :/

switching topics, do yall know of any good exhaust setups that would make my stock lt1 louder? that was my next option if i didnt get this intake. haha.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:34 PM
2nd Gear member

I wouldn't go based off just how loud it is haha I assume mean you want a strong sound? Just do some research, sometimes youtube videos have good sound quality so yo can hear different setups when you find them. Also, manufacturers sometimes have audio clips on their sites for different styles and setups as well.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:37 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

best intake is a stock intake ported by elliotts

Old 10-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Tech Droid

The LT4 intake will bolt up to the LT1 heads, but the ports won't match up due to the lt4 ports being taller. Mismatch from big to small will cause turbulence and power loss. Turbulence is only good inside the combustion chamber, not in the intake or exhaust.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:21 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by dhaby
do yall know of any good exhaust setups that would make my stock lt1 louder?
You can do what im doing I just ordered some pacesetter long tube headers and imma make myself true costume straight pipe dual exhaust its will be nice and loud haha.

Quick Reply: LT4 intake on a stock LT1.