LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

lt1 vs ls1

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 10:36 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by AmirGTR

Also, I'd like to correct one of the posts made above; a lot of under the hood LS1 parts are interchangeable with LT1s, although none of them are directly a part of the actual engine.
such as? and in this instance we were talking about heads and cam...in which case i was perfectly correct. headers will not work...intake will work with some fabricating...but i stick to my initial post

were you talking about the battery? as far as what makes an LT1 an LT1 and what makes an LS1 an LS1, no parts are interchangeable without modification...except maybe lifters

Last edited by whammer3024; 02-20-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:53 PM
I dont like my title

im still stumped that ls1 heads want fit lt1s or vise versa are they diffrent bolt paterns or what?

Old 02-20-2010, 06:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Advantages of LS1:

The "fish-eye" front end (although some love it, I personally hate it)
I find it makes them look like a Christler Sebering. But I blame Christler for this. As for LT1 vs LS1, I only pick LT1 because I have never driven an LS1.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:46 PM
Banned

I like the LT1 because it is old. I think it was designed in 1950 or something. Although the LS1 aluminum block is lighter, it was originaly designed by Mercruiser in like 1989 or something for the LT5 ZR1. The ZR1 had double overhead cams and heads with four valves, two injectors per cylinder. The LS series shares the same aluminum block design so it is pretty old too. Not that it is a bad design or anything. And GM has always been cheap.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:54 PM
I dont like my title

Originally Posted by CraZ28
I like the LT1 because it is old. I think it was designed in 1950 or something. Although the LS1 aluminum block is lighter, it was originaly designed by Mercruiser in like 1989 or something for the LT5 ZR1. The ZR1 had double overhead cams and heads with four valves, two injectors per cylinder. The LS series shares the same aluminum block design so it is pretty old too. Not that it is a bad design or anything. And GM has always been cheap.
YOU MAKE ME WANNA PUNCH A BABY!!!

Old 02-20-2010, 07:06 PM
Banned

Well the LT-5 was designed by Mercruiser but the block does differ from the LS series blocks, but similar.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:12 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Boosted8vfury
im still stumped that ls1 heads want fit lt1s or vise versa are they diffrent bolt paterns or what?
heres a old thread that tells alot. dont pay any attention to him, i think hes trying to get banned.

https://camaroforums.com/forum/archi...hp/t-6728.html

Old 02-21-2010, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by whammer3024
such as? and in this instance we were talking about heads and cam...in which case i was perfectly correct. headers will not work...intake will work with some fabricating...but i stick to my initial post

were you talking about the battery? as far as what makes an LT1 an LT1 and what makes an LS1 an LS1, no parts are interchangeable without modification...except maybe lifters
See that's what I meant, you can interchange a lot of stuff...I heard you can even transplant the coilpack too, never looked into it though.

You're right though, I mean you can't really swap any engine components, unless you swap the whole engine.

Originally Posted by craby
amir u have something wrong. u should be getting 25+ mpg. my last 93 i got in the area of 27mpg no matter how i drove it. this one i cant get it over 25 and still trying to figure out y.
I dunno man, any mechanic I took it to said it's normal for a V8 to use that much gas. Let's say they're wrong, what'd be wrong with the car then? I repaired anything that could've had anything to do with it. The cat, the sparks, the wires, the coilpack...only thing I can think of is that the PCM's data might've gone bad. I should probably reflash it, which I do want to, but the cable is 60 bucks and I really don't feel like paying that much for a cable, and then another 40 bucks or so just for the file.

Last edited by AmirGTR; 02-21-2010 at 02:59 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:37 AM
2nd Gear member

I recently took a trip to Miami from central fl,420 some miles.averaged 29.3 mpg.still had (as the guage read)almost a 1/4 tank when i got back.I was shocked.but i am all stock/unmolested except gutted cat.But that was almost all highway in 6th gear as much as possible

Old 02-21-2010, 12:15 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sorry for the jack op

I dunno man, any mechanic I took it to said it's normal for a V8 to use that much gas. Let's say they're wrong, what'd be wrong with the car then? I repaired anything that could've had anything to do with it. The cat, the sparks, the wires, the coilpack...only thing I can think of is that the PCM's data might've gone bad. I should probably reflash it, which I do want to, but the cable is 60 bucks and I really don't feel like paying that much for a cable, and then another 40 bucks or so just for the file.
if u can check the output of the temp sensors. the one on the water pump. also the intake air temp sensor on the air intake. if they are giving low temp numbers the computer will send lots of fuel to the motor.